One to many burn outs...new differential time.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryH

I knew the Corvette (1965) rear end in my T-Bucket was going to need some attention real soon. You know that nasty posi SNAP!POP!BANG! routine. Plus the axles are fairly worn. So i decided to just buy a rebuilt differential. According to the axle ratio code stamping it has 3:70 gears. I think i'll go with something a little taller for highway cruising.

It has a stock GM crate engine (rated at around 260 hp, Edelbrock Performer intake/600 cfm Performer carb, HEI) powerglide and 29x15.50 M/T Sportsmans. I don't really see going to a smaller tire (about 28 1/2" tall by 13 1/4" wide) anywhere in it's future. I'm undecided as to what ratio to go with. I had thought of going with 3:08's but i don't want to go to tall. I'm kind of thinking maybe 3:55's. Or would 3:36's be a better choice?

Alot depends on how you want it to feel around town and also on the highway. I have 3:00 gears in my 23 (30 tall tire) and on a trip I barely am touching the pedal to cruise at 65-70 mph..........gas milage is also very good. Around town it is ok, but I think some deeper gears would be nice at times.

On the other hand, my 27 has 4:30 gears and I know those are going to be murder on the highway, but I wanted maximum launch. For years I ran 3:70 gears in the same car and it was good around town and on the highway. So there is no perfect setup, unless you go to a quick change where you can swap them out to fit where you are driving.

I would think the 3:36 to 3:55 gear set would be about right all around.

Don

I had thought about 3:08's but i really don't want to compromise the bottom end that much. With the 3:70's i don't have get that deep into the excelerator. Without an overdrive any way i go will be a compromise. It's just figuring out which is the best compromise. Right now i'm really leaning towards the 3:36's.

Latest posts

Back