What's the easiest way to strip my truck down to bare metal???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've had good luck with the palm sander and wire wheel setup. just move it around a lot, don't sand on the same spot all day. i've used naval jelly quite a bit in the past to eat up the rust. it takes a little work to get it off but it seems to do the job.

Sorry if I am hi-jacking this thread, but safety is important to me these days so I am not doing something stupid that will come back to haunt me later in life:

I don't know what year your truck is, but I have a '47 ford pickup and I am wondering with all this sanding going on, do these trucks have lead paint, and are there any extra precautions when grinding, sanding or welding on it?

Sorry if I am hi-jacking this thread, but safety is important to me these days so I am not doing something stupid that will come back to haunt me later in life:

I don't know what year your truck is, but I have a '47 ford pickup and I am wondering with all this sanding going on, do these trucks have lead paint, and are there any extra precautions when grinding, sanding or welding on it?

That's why you wear a dusk-mask/respirator.

That's why you wear a dusk-mask/respirator.

OK, that's fine for me, but what about where else the dust goes and the cleanup? What do you do with your clothes afterwards, and what about other people around?

My garage has my washer/dryer in it and my neighbor is about 20 feet away if I do it in the driveway... It just seems irresponsible to just let lead dust blow off and around the neighborhood or throw my clothes in with my wife & ids clothes.

[S

Air or electric pistol-grip sander and a flap disc. Like these:

5%22+High+Speed+Air+Sander.jpg

SCD%20FLAP%20DISC.jpg

You can pick these up at Wal-Mart. Cheap.

Just remember to move around and not stay in one place too long and you'll be fine.
Man, personally I would maybe take off the front clip, have it soda blasted. Then as you can afford it the doors then etc. etc. etc.. That way you can perfect each panel as you go and not get to much raw metal laying around. Face it you can't do that kinda stuff without a good compressor and besides what you spend on abrasive discs will eat your lunch. I don't really have a tremendous amount of tools either, but maybe save and get a decent 120v compressor and a couple of air grinders and whatnot. Looks like you may have a minimal amount of minor rust. Electric tools may not give you the resulsts your looking. Its hard to do this without the right tools. Just don't want to see you get frustrated and fail on your project !!!!

It's not how well you weathered the storm, but how well you danced in the rain !!!!

OK, that's fine for me, but what about where else the dust goes and the cleanup? What do you do with your clothes afterwards, and what about other people around?

My garage has my washer/dryer in it and my neighbor is about 20 feet away if I do it in the driveway... It just seems irresponsible to just let lead dust blow off and around the neighborhood or throw my clothes in with my wife & ids clothes.

[S

If you're concerned about paint dust, then I would use a chemical stripper. Aircraft-grade paint remover works the best, but wear long rubber gloves, long sleeves, and jeans...if you get this stuff on your skin it burns like mad...I've done it...it works in seconds, too...then you just scrape the stuff off with a paint-scraper or putty knife. When you're done, rinse with water. After that, any sanding you'll have to do will be rust, which isn't as bad for dust.

Well....got an email coupon for a harbor freight 50lb blaster setup. Got it for $14.99. Paid an extra $4 for a 2 year in story replacement.
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

For $34, I bought a 50lb bag of heavy grit soda media.
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-extra-large-grade-armex-soda-blast-media-65931.html
I'm gonna keep using the sanding methods on the large flat panels bit try this blaster for the hard to get to areas like in the cab, the grille, and all the nooks and crannys. Any advice on pressure and such?

I might try a cheap bag of play sand next.

Last edited:
I would suggest using play sand if want a case of silicosis, a deadly lung disease. Use only good grades of sand and wear a respirator. Stay alive for your Wife and Kids.

You will need a larger air compressor for blasting.

strip paint

I would recommend soda blasting. I've done both sand and soda and soda is much easier on the metal. But remember it wont take off rust

I use aircraft stripper from Kleen strip, 8hrs max ,wash with lacquer thinner and then ospho .....Prime when you feel like it put roofing tar paper down before you start ,triple tape all the gaps ,two 5" putty knifes and a razor scraper.
I used to strip two a day but no more rat race for me.

Well....got an email coupon for a harbor freight 50lb blaster setup. Got it for $14.99. Paid an extra $4 for a 2 year in story replacement.
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

For $34, I bought a 50lb bag of heavy grit soda media.
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-extra-large-grade-armex-soda-blast-media-65931.html
I'm gonna keep using the sanding methods on the large flat panels bit try this blaster for the hard to get to areas like in the cab, the grille, and all the nooks and crannys. Any advice on pressure and such?

I might try a cheap bag of play sand next.

how did this blaster setup work for you? i was looking at getting one but only have a smaller compresser

I tried it once and knew right then it would be useless. Not because of the HF unit, but because I was shooting soda rather than sand, and that my commpressor is too small. But, the one time I used it I was able to clean my windshield cranking mechanism and make it look new.
I really think it's a compressor thing. Might rent one and buy a bunch of play sand to do the rest of the body where I can't get my flap discs and wire cups.

IRON MAIDEN Quote: Might rent one and buy a bunch of play sand to do the rest of the body where I can't get my flap discs and wire cups.

Play sand is not a very healthy alternative to proper sand blasting sand, UNLESS you what to shorten your life. Depending where the sand is quarried there is a good chance that it is full of silica sand. SILICA SAND + HUMAN LUNGS = SILICOSIS A HARMFUL AND OFTEN FATAL LUNG ILLNESS

"Quote" Wikapedia.....Silicosis, also known as Potter's rot, is a form of occupational lung disease caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust, and is marked by inflammation ...Google it...see if you still want to use it.

Safety First...

Buy the right stuff, your kids will thank you.....

I use the 3m coarse finger abrasives or the coarse scotch brite pads on a grinder.

They work well and produce minimal heat. The fingers are the best imho.

I can't remember what they are actually called but your welder supply will know. The coarse are yellow and leave a nice finish. Cost about $16 each but they have quite a bit of life.

Latest posts

Back