whats what when it comes to rollers and benders

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip-r-s

I want to know what the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of tubing binders and rollers.
I kinda like the ring rollers but will they be able to bend suspension parts like hair pins, and what haven't i thaught about in this pre-purchase stage.
I want one but don't want buyers remorse.:D

Mostly I am trying to avoid buying a different and expencive die everytime I want to bend a different radius or diameter tube.

Attachments

• motorcycle bender.jpg
    motorcycle bender.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 32
  • press style bender.jpg
    press style bender.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 24
  • tube roller.jpg
    tube roller.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 26
Some of what I am going to say isnt 100% first hand, I have been around and used a few different benders just not a whole lot of experience with a bunch of different types.

Pic #1 - I have only used one like this once, it did a very nice job. Although we were not bending a real tight radious and it wasnt very thick wall pipe (less then .125"). I did really like how it operated though

Pic#2 - Used this style enough, I would refer to it as a pipe kinker. It will start to crush the pipe if you are trying to bend it much more then 45-60 degrees. Found if you changed the centre of the bend in the die side to side (1" or so from the centre of the bend) that you could help minimize the crushing effect. I have cracked dies, as well as bent the frame trying to bend .190" wall DOM (I think thats what size it was, was less then .250" for sure). For a cheap not every day use tool it does come in handy, just need to know the limitations of it.

Pic#3 - I haven't used one personally so I can not comment...

I have used all of them, and own several of each. This is probably the best style bender, for the home shop .....
Tubingbender.jpg

Also the most expensive.

A push through style bender is usually not the best, unless it is a high quility adjustable bender with good dies. The HF pipe bender is for pipe, and only works with a couple of tubing sizes. If the dies don't fit the material, it will kink it.

A roll bender is for making large radius bends, and will work best for that, and nothing else.

I built my bender that looks like the first one you pictured, and it works well.

Last edited:
I put a motor on my roll bender, and have had to beef it up alot. Out of the box it will last about 15 minutes.
rollbender2.jpg

This project used two different benders...
bumper2.jpg

picture number two known as a pipe kinker. if you fill the pipe with fine sand and hammer the pipe a little so the sand settles in a lot. then plug the ends, it will bend well. lots of work. if time = money, buy something else. I have one and built a roll cage for my 1951 dodge with it.

gold03

Attachments

• roll cage.jpg
    roll cage.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 26
I had to #2 pipe kinker also. I did the sand trick also and it works. During the winter if I was going to due some bending the next day, I would plug one end and fill it with water and let it freeze over night. Worked wonders on real tight bends.

thumb.php

http://kbctoolsandmachinery.com/product/show/6-700-100

$425 I think

I was thinking of getting one of these at some point, not in the budget at the moment, but I think it would be nice to have the shear, break, and rollers in one package. I also still really want an english wheel...

However next on the list is a better bench grinder, a belt sander, and a chop saw... all things I have access to at work, but I should have in the shop/garage

Latest posts

Back