Black Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man they have one even cheaper!

I am not really this cheap, but all I was after is a suede finished coat. :D
Initially I wanted it all black, but I bought this truck on the cheap and wanted to sink as little as possible into it so my better (?) half didn't ride me for the "hobby cost".:rolleyes:
It had the power setup I was after and the size I was looking for but it is bright yellow - so I wanted to work with what I had as much as possible.

BIG n Black

I know this was not done with a roller but it is a "ROLLER" :D:D and it is satin black.

I saw it at Geneva Motor Show in March and just loved the look...

Attachments

• Mansory.jpg
    Mansory.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53
Here's a few jobs I did on some of my past vehicles...

Few rattlecans of Krylon Rust Tough Enamel in Semi-Flat Black did the trick on these... you won't get much cheaper than that :D

DSC01746.jpg

Bktruck1.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

I use
Rustoleum on my car and bike. If you want a little sheen use satin black. The good thing about rustoleum is it is a paint, not a primer. I reduce it with straight laquer thinner about 33%. I shoot it with a Harbor Freight hvlp gun. $25.00 paint job.

Here`s my `69 Chebby that I recently painted "Low Gloss Black". I sprayed it with a $15 Harbor Freight gun. I got the paint at Tractor Supply ($29 gallon). I also used their "enamel hardner" ($9 for 1/2 pint). I reduced it with enamel reducer that I got at the local auto paint supply. I mixed it at a 4 to 1 ratio.

Attachments

• DSCN1096.JPG
    DSCN1096.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1111.JPG
    DSCN1111.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1112.JPG
    DSCN1112.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN1107.JPG
    DSCN1107.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 16
I`ve never used one, but I can tell you that with only 7' of hose, you`ll be spending a lot of time dragging that unit around while painting. I wouldn`t like it.

I don't own a compressor, at least not yet! ;) Has anyone tried this HVLP setup from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91772. ?
91772.gif

I realize it wouldn't last long but it would be cheaper even if it only lasted for one job than even a cheap Earl job.:D

I have one of these that I was for Shellac spraying. They actually work great. The downfall is that the turbine constantly feeds air pressure through the gun nozzle, it feeds the paint when you pull the trigger. It takes some getting used to so as not to mess up your finish when not spraying.

Latest posts

Back