Here it is

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any better options for a frame donor? My wheel base is 132". with the long bed. How much trouble was it fabbing up the IH frame rails to the Cutlass? Is this a match made in heaven? Good clearance for headers?
Did you use the Cutlass steering column as well?
I'm hoping to find a good donor so I can get going on mine.

You have that long bed so I would go looking at other pickups measuring up the wb. Pick one with the kind of engine you want and it should be really easy for finding headers and other add ons like lowering kits or just fancy suspension.
Mine went really easy. Do a search on threads I've started and it shows how I did the frame. I bought a basic steering column from speedway and used the rest of the Olds lower shaft so the cab would look original somewhat.
My whole idea was to have a lil pickup look like I just pulled it out of a field, lowered it and threw a decent engine in. The idea came to me after seeing a flat bed '53 Chevy drive by with some big meats underneath the back. I know it's not really a Rat Rod but it's still a neat idea and something that appeals to me.

This one is on a ford 4WD frame. When I loked under it he had just repositioned the cab mounts on the Ford frame. The bed has been totally redone with the fenders being the only IH parts on it. He said he had the bed sides rolled to look like IH and that cost him bunches and bunches. He has more into the bed than my whole build.
Carshowstorm003.jpg

Carshowstorm007.jpg

Carshowstorm004.jpg

Carshowstorm005.jpg

I'm thinking of doing another one on a '85 Chevy 4X4 SWB frame once I get this one done. I already have both except the bed of the IH. It'll be my daily with air and all the fancy junk we don't really need LOL

Is there any better options for a frame donor? My wheel base is 132". with the long bed. How much trouble was it fabbing up the IH frame rails to the Cutlass? Is this a match made in heaven? Good clearance for headers?
Did you use the Cutlass steering column as well?
I'm hoping to find a good donor so I can get going on mine.

Please don't stick a big modern steering column in an early truck. Modify your stocker to work. Most are easily modified to work with a modern steering box by cutting down the outer tube and inner shaft (inner shaft a few inches longer). Add a bearing and collar from TSC added to the lower end and grind flats on the inner shaft to accept a GM double D coupler.

Looking great, I had a thought after seeing the close-up of the grill and hood. It looks like a '40 Ford grill would fit pretty easily. Cool build! John T.

Latest posts

Back