doodlebug

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
Formerly know as the speedster, progress came to a dicouraging halt today when i discoverd the front axle and/or spindle is seriously bent. Unless a good axle falls out of the sky this lowbuck project could be sitting for a long time :(

100_0587-1.jpg

100_0586.jpg

100_0589.jpg

You should be able to "sight " a straight edge along the axle to see a bend, the spindle won't be that easy . But there is the process of elimination . I have faith in you earthman , I'm sure that it's fixable .

Earthman, out there in Arizona you should be able to find a bazillion model a front axles cheap. The going rate is usually under $ 50, and sometimes you can score the whole front end for that much or less, if you look around. But, looking at your pictures, I don't think it is the axle. I think the spindle is bent down. It would be more apparent if the axle was bent enough to let the wheel lay over like that.

Don

i think don is right--my guess is a spindle.....

maybe one will be found that is within "budget", would hate to see this project halted[P

We can straighten the axle, if it is the axle. If it's the spindle - we might be able to put a little heat on it and bring back. I know the axle is forged, I'm not sure about the spindle. (Forged means we can straighten it - cast no.)

We can set the axle and spindles on the platen and measure to figure out which is the poblem. Bring'em by.

Speedster looks good.

Earthman, out there in Arizona you should be able to find a bazillion model a front axles cheap. The going rate is usually under $ 50, and sometimes you can score the whole front end for that much or less, if you look around. But, looking at your pictures, I don't think it is the axle. I think the spindle is bent down. It would be more apparent if the axle was bent enough to let the wheel lay over like that.

Don

I think my main problem was having to start over with a bare axle and hoping it was straight. But i think you are probably right about it being the spindle. Thanks Don.

The kingpin shouldn't be hard to remove, unless is it frozen in place. Just remove the retaining bolt that also acts as a spindle turn stop (big long nut) then drive the threaded part backwards out of the hole. Turn the axle over and use a drift punch to push the kingpin out of it's bore.

Don

its not as hard as you would think. Just hammer the locking pin out, after taking the nut off of course, and then turn the the king pin with a set of channel locks to release the brake mechanism. Then the kingpin can easily be tapped out from the bottom. Virtually anything on a model A is designed to be replaced with hand tools.

If you need some instructions faxed/emailed to you just IM me. I have a bunch of A books.

The kingpin shouldn't be hard to remove, unless is it frozen in place. Just remove the retaining bolt that also acts as a spindle turn stop (big long nut) then drive the threaded part backwards out of the hole. Turn the axle over and use a drift punch to push the kingpin out of it's bore.

Don

I always thought the pins were super difficult to remove but maybe this won't be as bad i was thinking. Thanks so much Don.

its not as hard as you would think. Just hammer the locking pin out, after taking the nut off of course, and then turn the the king pin with a set of channel locks to release the brake mechanism. Then the kingpin can easily be tapped out from the bottom. Virtually anything on a model A is designed to be replaced with hand tools.

If you need some instructions faxed/emailed to you just IM me. I have a bunch of A books.

I am so used to doing everything by myself i don't know how to act with the
help and support ya'll are offering :) Thanks BI

We can straighten the axle, if it is the axle. If it's the spindle - we might be able to put a little heat on it and bring back. I know the axle is forged, I'm not sure about the spindle. (Forged means we can straighten it - cast no.)

We can set the axle and spindles on the platen and measure to figure out which is the poblem. Bring'em by.

Speedster looks good.

I sure appreciate the offer Dan. I will be back in Nogales this week but will
call you when i get back for sure.

As you know, I don't know much about getting those things apart, so get all the info you can from Don, Big Irish, et al. I do know how to set it up and measure it - the fixing - well we can wing it.

I'll probably be around next weekend.

Latest posts

Back