Rustoleum plunge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I build and fly large RC airplanes. Most of the time they are warplanes and I paint them with latex house paint. Not any differant then painting a rod with the same paint. Couple of tips if you use latex, you have to keep the air pressure down or the paint will dry as it is atomized and you will get a rough textured finish. To prevent this just use straight windex window cleaner as your thinner,. I have even used latex in an airbrush with the windex as thinner and have had excellant results . I painted my 1st car with latex 40 yrs ago and used a vacuum cleaner and a quart jar sprayer. I never got any of the stone chips I get nowadays and that paint lasted over 10 yrs.
Unclebill

rustoleum paint

I used the quarts of satin black 7777 I mixed it 32 oz paint with 8 oz of acetone I mixed it in an empty gallon can I bought at lowes, I used 2 qts of paint and it came out pretty good for a first timer, but the satin ended up looking almost like flat black not a full satin but a little flatter, I guess the acetone flattened it out some, I did use a better gravity feed gun from northern tool it was like $49 with the stand, I will get some pictures of it when I get it out of my storage building and move it back to the garage

Me & my "wingman" @ W.I.U. 1980.

P04-27-11_18_01.jpg

That's is a brushed-on rustoleum paint job. I did it on a 95 degree July day. The paint basically baked on. I remember putting the second coat on within 15min. of finishing the rear bumper. It was so hot it minimized the brush strokes.

The funnest thing was unless you got close it really looked pretty darn good. :cool:

Last edited:
I have used rustoleum in the past. lately I been using Tractor supply paint. it come in spray cans quarts and gallons and it cheap. also it holds up better to gasoline. Just something to think about.

used rustoleum dollar store brushes

first thing i did was had the sheet metal sand blasted put 2 coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer in side and out let dry good sanded then went with the sem gloss black.Sprayed a old dodge truck went to big lots got a buggy full on can 99. cent truck looked good

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 87
I`ve been looking for a bright metallic orange for my frame but with no luck. probably go with CA ORANGE from tractor supply and throw some flakes in the clear. anyone thought of using that clear rocker panel paint ? its clear and tuff as hell. but at $30 a spray can at sherwin williams I doubt I will

Sherwin Willliams

Not to side track you guys,but Sherwin Williams has a line just like Rustoleum. You buy it at the regular store,not the automotive side. It's called All Surface Enamel. It's alkyd enamel and they make in gloss or low gloss for around 45.00 a gallon. There are 32 different colors. Check it out, may be an alternative or for a better selection or colors.

Paint job!

I have been watching this thread and was having the same problem as I too am not a great body man nor painter. I went to the local feed store and they sell paint for tractors. And it is almost the same price as Rustoliem plus if you want you can buy a catalyst for it which makes the paint really shine and dry faster and harder. Anyway I painted my car with the stuff and other than my bad body work the paint looks super, now all I gotta do is figure out a flame job pattern. Total cost including the primer which the paint maker says I didn't need was less than $50. That beats the heck out of $3000 I was quoted at the local body shop. Oh Yeah they make this stuff in rattle cans as well and in lots of basic colors and it seems to be tough as nails.

Wow,its been a long time since I've been on here.Anyway,thought I'd update my progress.Life has somewhat gotten in the way.Still don't have the Stude painted yet but,I have managed to get the front end primered with some rustoleum.Only problem is I used white clean metal primer(cause I've decided after all this time to paint the top portion of the car rustoleum almond and the bottom half white and thought the top coat would go over the white better) and now I've got a few spots I gotta redo.Mostly my body work, but I plan on going back over it useing the rusty metal primer this time,I've heard it's tough as nails.I got the front end took off the car and have had it primed and sitting in my back yard all this time,months and months and months,lol.Its held up pretty good I'd have to say.Hopeing to get atleast the rest of the car primed out in the next month or so before it gets too cold.

Latest posts

Back