chassis research FED's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

so i have been building a number of these bad boys for customers and figured you might want to see some of them coming together. they are exact replicas of the 1958 chassis research TE 440 front engine dragster, built off original blue prints. all madral bent, and tig welded. most of the guys are finishing them up themselves so i only have a few pics of them with engines
Picture539.jpg

Picture537.jpg

Picture535.jpg

Picture540.jpg

Picture570.jpg

Picture586.jpg

Picture603.jpg

Picture604.jpg

Picture605.jpg

Picture561.jpg

I love FED's, so much cooler than the current rear engined ones IMO, although I realize the reason for the change. Very nice frame you put together. Question: Are these legal under current NHRA rules or can you only race these at special nostalgia drag races?

Don

as they are now they are not nhra legal, but you just have to add two more rear bars to make them legal (at least thats what i have been told). there are a lot of outlaw drag races coming out now to where they can be run, i guess thats why business with them have picked up

Yep, the nostalgia drags are really getting popular. I've been to both the nostalgia drags and Billetproof drags, and had the time of my life at both.

You might want to look into offering a second version that is NHRA legal, it would open up a whole new market to you. One company that sells similar FED's (I forget their name) does exactly that, they have the regular one and also a modified version that is compliant.

Just out of curiousity, what does your setup go for? If you don't want to say I apologize for asking, but since you are in the business I thought maybe that would be published info and you would share. Reason I ask is that I have a nice little 355 Chevy engine/350TH combo that I'd love to put in some little drag car, and a FED would be real fun.

Don

i have been getting $1850 out of one fully tig welded and ready to have parts bolted to it. i am not sure if i want to build any more of this version. kind of getting burned out on them. i have one that i was selling as a tacked together chassis that the owner backed out of that i would sell for $900 as is. like i said it is all tacked up with spring perch, bone drops and blue prints included. i can even deliver for a fee or meet half way or ship if need be

Those are very reasonable prices and your work looks great. I'm not in a position today to do anything like this but will definitely keep you in mind for when I am. I have too many projects going on right now, but my Sons and I have been talking about a joint drag car someday.

I know the price of tubing and steel, and you aren't raping anyone at those good prices.

Don

K-89.jpg

Here's an attempt to make a K-88 style chassis NHRA legal. See the added roll bars painted black. I'm not experienced enough to know if this addition will pass tech at strict NHRA tracks. I do imagine it would be acceptable at many tracks, expecially if the car runs 9.99 or slower.

I really like your chassis and the price is amazingly low.

that is really cool. is there any way that i can see a picture of the front steering and how it connects to the frame? i am building a little project and i havent figured out how i am going to attach the front suspension and steering to the frame.

i have just about everything else figured out except that and i dont want to start the project until have that figured out too.

the front suspension on these had two options. the one i went with is just the single transverse spring. the other option witch takes a special axle is just riding on rubber biscuits, i will have to find pics of that one.

the steering is best described as similar to cowl steering. these used ross box's out of croselys. then the steering link runs parrallel the ground all the way up front, pretty standard steering set up. i will try to dig up some pics of the steering or i will just run to my buddies and take a pic of it one one of the chassis i did

Latest posts

Back