1929 6-29 Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if I could weld in a Model A crossmember in there and get rid of the leafs.As long as that chassis is any good.Good ideal or bad??

Nice find. Should be fun to watch this build.

I thought about going to a ford axle and radius arms also to get the front of my 36 Chevy PU down there. Maybe a 6" drop axle.

I somehow thought this was Saturday.........tough to keep track of time when you're retired! :eek::D

From the ad it sounds like lots of good restorer type parts in the deal that I imagine you won't be needing, and you got a pink slip to boot. You had better play the lottery this week George, your luck is running high right now. :D

Don

I just got back from the 200 mile trip.My son rode with me.He is 5.He wanted to go so bad after he had seen the pics.When I arrived at the guys house we started talking about the car and then the owner goes in the house and comes out with a fist full of Hot Wheels,Still in the packages.I ask him whats up with the cars.He tells me that I have sold many cars in my life and never seen a 5 year old show up with that much interest in the car that I was sellin."This guy is a collector".We shoot the sh**t for a few and we start loading the truck.I never thought we would get all the parts into the truck.This guy had everything.There is no rust through on any part.Any rust thats on the cowl can be wiped off by hand.The only scary part is the whole stucture is wood.Alot of it has already been started but I think I am going to yank it all and start with steel.Its all new and fresh.But that is way tooo much wood for me.The mastr is all wood but it has a regular body thats all intact.This car is all piece by piece wood structure that all the panels nail too.Its too late for the pics and I am beat.I will get some pics in the AM.Every body part is strait as and arrow and rust free.

Bone,Unless you see it.I dont think you have an Idea what I am taliking about.This car looks like a Home inside.If you do I need all the help that I can get.I didnt think that it was this much.I am having a real hard time trying to figure out where to start.I was thinkin of doing the perimiter on the lower end like from the cowel to the rear and start from there.Then I gotta figure out the B pillars for the doors.The doors are in perfect Condition Too.Not a spec of rust on them.

Wow George, sounds like you really stuck oil there. Don't let the wood scare you. Like Bonehead said, just frame it with steel tubing instead. The body is essentially just the cosmetic skin on these. What you want to do is screw the body subframe to a big sheet of plywood so you can get it squared up, then start filling in the doorjams and other parts with tubing as you see fit.

Dan did his Fordor Ford this way, and it really worked out well. Here are some shot of it on the plywood base he made. Quit teasing us, we want pictures. :D:D
Don

Attachments

• dans fordor subframe.jpg
    dans fordor subframe.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 71
  • dans rpu subframe 2.jpg
    dans rpu subframe 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 63
  • dans fordor subframe 3.jpg
    dans fordor subframe 3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 50
  • dans fordor subframe 4.jpg
    dans fordor subframe 4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 48
.This car looks like a Home inside.

This is exactly why there aren't many early 30's Chevrolets left. They were skinned over a complete wood structure. Even the doors are made of wood with just a sheetmetal skin. No metal framing at all. Once the wood rotted away, the cars just turned into an unrecognizeable pile of sheetmetal left to rust away.

Sounds like you have a very nice example.

don't worry about where to start yet, get some rest, open a frosty one and ponder it! :D post some pics too! sounds like you did real well, congrats!

Very nice...

That looks like it will be a very interesting build.
Sounds like a very good score on your part, looking forward to "the build". '22

Well had to unload eveything and find places to put it.Then I had to go and get a Christmas tree so I havent had a chance to update.These are the pics of all the stuff when I unloaded it in my yard before I stuffed the my 12x16 shed .Here are some shots of what I got.This was the mess I had before I unloaded it this morning.

Attachments

• 1929 Pontiac Coupe 001.jpg
    1929 Pontiac Coupe 001.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 35
  • 1929 Pontiac Coupe 002.jpg
    1929 Pontiac Coupe 002.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1929 Pontiac Coupe 003.jpg
    1929 Pontiac Coupe 003.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 39
  • 1929 Pontiac Coupe 004.jpg
    1929 Pontiac Coupe 004.jpg