My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Here's my '41 Ford PU build. I love trucks & one of my fav's has always been the '40 & '41 Ford truck. The '39 & '40 sedan coupe & sedan r beautiful as well. I've been lookin' for a clean one for quite a while & finally found one that was in incredible shape. No rust around the windshield, cowl vent, doors or the side of the cab back (does that have a name)? Anyway, it only had 1 little rusted out spot on the floorboard on the passenger side and the frame was in pretty good shape too. I've had cars with all different types of front ends but as far a handling... a Mustang II rack & pinion setup is pretty darn good. How does this work into a rat rod? My truck will have a full beautiful '41 front end with fenders that will hide this suspension. I used a bolt-on system from Chassis Engineering Inc & had a parallel leaf spring setup from them too. I'm gonna cruise this car all over the place & I want it to handle really well.

On to my plans...

383 SBC with a low profile Magnason blower or Nitrous (can't decide yet)
Manual Mustang II Rack & Pinion steering
2" lowered spindles
Disc brakes front / drum rear
Ford 9" rear with 3.5:1 gears
4-5" angled chopped top
3-5" angled channel
700R4 overdrive auto tranny
Awesome custom Bonehead cow skull shifter knob
Bomber seats
Chopped bed
Red steelie Bigs & Littles
Flat black paint (what else?)
Rockin' stereo / no A/C
No rear fenders

BoB

B4!

Here r the before fotos in my driveway. I found this great carcass on Craig's List about 20 miles from my house & drug it home with the help of a friend.

Attachments

• start.jpeg
    start.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 924
  • start1.jpeg
    start1.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 926
  • start2.jpeg
    start2.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 826
  • start3.jpeg
    start3.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 661
Front suspension!

Here is the frame stripped in front & the beginning of the front end goin' on!

BoB

Attachments

• bareframe.jpg
    bareframe.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 494
  • CrossmemberMockup.jpg
    CrossmemberMockup.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 687
  • spindle1.jpg
    spindle1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 596
  • spindle2.jpg
    spindle2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 586
More progress!

I finally wrangled the coilover shocks & springs on. This was NOT fun but I got there & was sweatin' like a dog!

Attachments

• b4spring.jpg
    b4spring.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 421
  • horiz.jpg
    horiz.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 383
  • spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 331
  • spring2.jpg
    spring2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 326
Cool project Bob. If it were me, I would go with the blower over the nitrous. HP all the time and looks evil too. I'm into the bomber seats also. Iv'e got a pair on ice that I'm fixin to put in my 32. And that Bonehead Original is the ticket. Hurry up and finish so we can see it.

I'm a hurryin'!!!!!!

Hurry up and finish so we can see it.

Gastrick,
Thanks for the encouragement. I like posting my project because that makes me wanna get out there & make some progress so I can post... so I'll make progress... so I can post... Dang, I just made myself dizzy!!! ; - >

BoB

Nice rack!

Here I have gotten the spindles on & have gotten the rack on track! Next come discs, pads... etc!

BoB

Attachments

• fullrack.jpg
    fullrack.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 180
  • spindleson.jpg
    spindleson.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 151
  • spindleson2.jpg
    spindleson2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 137
Sorta!

Here's sorta the look I'm goin' 4 except it will have a beautiful '41 front end on it. Not to say that this '38 isn't beautiful, it's my 2nd fav!

BoB

Attachments

• greenhornet.jpeg
    greenhornet.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
He was a hard worker! ; - >

Hey TRIPPER, Thanks for the invite here, your truck is really kick ass, nice work my friend.:)

Busted,
Thanks, I gettin' there! Like my wife says... "I do good work, I just don't do enough of it"!!!

Here's my Photochop of what I have planned & I added some red Bigs & Littles like I'm gonna run on it.

BoB

Attachments

• StartChop.jpg
    StartChop.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Bigs & Littles!

After a short pause... I've gotten the momentum back (I hope). I've been waiting on a set of Bigs & Littles for my truck that a buddy wanted to sell. Got them @ a *great* price & they don't even have 10 miles on 'um. Gonna put the rotors on this weekend, put the B&L's on & it'll b a roller again... Yippppeeeee!!!!!!!

BoB

Attachments

• b&l.jpg
    b&l.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Well get off yo butt and get on yo feet....Outta the shade and in the heat...WAHOO....

Could not help it...C, i was cleaning my keyboard and my fingers went off.....:eek:

POST HO ALERT...POST HO ALERT... 400...

Yipppeeeee!!! It's a roller again!!!

After workin' on getting the forum up & running & workin' on my house gettin' it ready to sell... my poor truck has been out in the garage waiting patiently. Today I had had enough & got back in the swing of things. Bearings packed, rotors on, calipers, pads & finally wheels!!! It rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next will be new rear suspension setup.

BoB

Attachments

• cabroller.jpg
    cabroller.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 240
  • wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 189
  • frontroller.jpg
    frontroller.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 253