Rod Authority is having a series about building a ratty for $1500!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That guy used to write for the lame Rat Rod Magazine.

$1,500, don't try this at home kids! [ddd

Toad

The magazine is based on Minnesota, where I am. I happen to like it and have met some of the guys associated with the mag. The photography is very good. While I don't build true rat rods with the popular accessories I do enjoy looking at them and garnering ideas for future builds.

Just remember, what is "lame" in your opinion might not be in another's person's. Undead Sleds is a big tent and welcomes car guys with a variety of tastes in hot rods.

Most of those bodies in the pictures would cost $1500 around here. Maybe not the truck cab?

Not saying it can't be done, but odds are, to do it safe in 2017 it's gonna cost you more like $3000. They're just sellin' a dream.

I've got so many left over parts from builds and cast off stuff people have given to me that I could probably do it. Careful shopping on Craigslist would help too. No new parts.

If you subtract the air ride on my Olds, I had it on the road for less than $1500. But today, it's hard to find anything pre-60's for less than $1500. Then again, I still find 60's era decent drivers for that kinda money on CL - go figure.

I guess what I was thinking is it can be done, but you better be dedicated. ...or have a lot of leftover parts. ....or live where the tin is still cheap.

That guy used to write for the lame Rat Rod Magazine.

$1,500, don't try this at home kids! [ddd

Toad

The magazine is based on Minnesota, where I am. I happen to like it and have met some of the guys associated with the mag. The photography is very good. While I don't build true rat rods with the popular accessories I do enjoy looking at them and garnering ideas for future builds.

Just remember, what is "lame" in your opinion might not be in another's person's. Undead Sleds is a big tent and welcomes car guys with a variety of tastes in hot rods.

Bob's right Mr Toad! You know the rules... let's play nice!!! :D

BoB

Most of those bodies in the pictures would cost $1500 around here. Maybe not the truck cab?

Not saying it can't be done, but odds are, to do it safe in 2017 it's gonna cost you more like $3000. They're just sellin' a dream.

My thought s exactly! Even crappy 30's sedan bodies are between $1500-$2500 around these parts!

I was on track to do it with my 39, until i started finding cool stuff on CL and eBay. :D

My constant downfall!!!

Man, sounds sketchy!

Only possible it yu have a bunch os parts you don't have to pay for or someone gives you some free stuff when isn't really fair IMO.

Personally... I can never come in under $10K!!! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

I had WAY more than $1500 in the 36 Dodge cab on the Toyota pickup frame I had when I first came here, and it was just a shell!

Gotta be a bunch of leftover stuff and freebies to get one built for $1500!

Depending on what cars I get rid of this summer and if I complete the current projects, I'll build a steel slant 6/4 peed roadster this winter for $1,500. You all can come along.

There's a '29 Chevy truck cowl and cab corners in the pic along with some wheel & tires and an oval gas tank. I have less than 50 bucks in all of it. Got lots of other parts in my "under the trees" warehouse that I'll use. This will be quite a challenge.

Last edited:
99% of us can't do a safe build with only $1500. We're talking about running used brakes, used wheel bearings. Old used hoses, minimal tune and mostly everything else free. Keep your $1500 pos off the roads my loved ones use please.

Depending on what cars I get rid of this summer and if I complete the current projects, I'll build a steel slant 6/4 peed roadster this winter for $1,500. You all can come along.

I guess it depends a lot on how you count. If something has been laying around long enough or you traded for it, a monetary value can be ignored, even though far enough back it was probably an investment. For those of us doing it a long time and trading, we can calculate this way. I just know in a final push it's nothing to be running to the parts store daily and spending $50-$100 at a whack and not keeping track. Like my 59 F250. Basically a running driving truck that just needed attention from setting and I dumped over $1000 into it and had free used tires. It cost me $100 just to get the right speedometer adapter and gear to make my $50 transfer case work.

On a typical low budget project I usually spend about $1,000 buying small parts at NAPA or some other parts store. But most of that stuff can be found at swap meets or the bone yard for a lot less money. Spark plugs, tune up parts, belts are the kind of parts people throw at their cars in desperate attempt to save them. Then they junk the car. I look for those hardly used parts. People install new brakes, then the engine goes out. You, Willowbilly, of all people, knows there's great finds out there that are overlooked by most people.

On a typical low budget project I usually spend about $1,000 buying small parts at NAPA or some other parts store. But most of that stuff can be found at swap meets or the bone yard for a lot less money. Spark plugs, tune up parts, belts are the kind of parts people throw at their cars in desperate attempt to save them. Then they junk the car. I look for those hardly used parts. People install new brakes, then the engine goes out. You, Willowbilly, of all people, knows there's great finds out there that are overlooked by most people.

Very true. And I often make money in the process, pretty hard to keep a budget on just one car with all the trading and parting out. The 63 Fairlane coupe my engine came from on the rpu was bought along with a 38 Standard sedan. I paid $600 for the pair and probably sold off at least $2500, all money that would bring the cost of the build down if you look at it that way but at the time it was how I was making income and the money mostly went for other things and more inventory. I'm not saying it couldn't be done by guys like us who purposed to but to lead anyone with less experience to think it's even possible when you have to buy and don't have barter stock, is very unrealistic. We see it all the time, someone who has very limited skills starts dragging home free crap like S10 frames and some badly rusted cab with missing doors and we all know it will never be anything but a pile of junk in mom's carport.

Should be interesting.
$1500 total cost seems quite low to me. When I put a value on parts that I have had a long time I base it on what it would cost to replace them.
I got Flathead stuff in the 70's that is worth WAY more now then when I bought them.
Build it $1500.00 and then list it on e-bay for $15000.00 :eek: [ddd :D
Torchie

Never built a car that had less than $1,500 in the engine alone! Always had at least 2-4X that much! [ddd

iSore

Latest posts

Back