Need pics of fenderless trucks on s10 frames

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is Central Florida's finest . . . (found on craigslist)

3na3md3l25Q55W65S4b8p358ffb4c8c441748.jpg

Rogerhoyt has a good idea as to building an S10 truck and posted a picture as well .

I've been looking for the right 40 to 54 truck for a build without much sucess . Well , yes there are some trucks out there for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but I'm not going to cut an $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ truck up .

I've seriously considered an S10 build in recent weeks but still would build a custom chassis . I think the S10 chassis is overused and just settled on .

I'd like to see more builds out of later model iron for food for thought . The picture Rogerhoyt posted depicted the truck crude and unfinished . Has anyone seen this build finished . I've seen several pics of it in the ruff .

Thx for any help in advance ,
Gonzo

do it

use what ya got, when your'e limited on funds sometimes ya make compromises on on what you really want. just don't scrimp on safety!!!!!!

build it and if ya don't like it, sometime down the road sell it and build another one, that's what l been doing for years :D

Later :cool:

Here is some pics of a friend of mnes truck its on a s-10 frame.
He used a rack on it instead of s-10 steering box it helped the look some
but i still thank it would look better with fenders to hide the A Arms.

Well my .02$ is thats cool azz ride:D

thanks guys...i know they dont look that great but here lately at some of the car shows i have went to there seems to be more and more showing up.i live in N.Georgia [it might just be a redneck thing] but there are alot of fenderless trucks on s10 frames in my area..just wanted to see if i could get some pics of trucks like this from other areas..but what i have came to find is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.also i didnt think there were any rules on building rat rods, thought it was build what u can with what u have....also thanks tiny1 for the pics...anyway thanks for all your comments...

Heres some pics of my rig. It's actually on a Ranger frame. I understand the opposition to using IFS on a fenderless rod and used to subscribe to that idea. My plan originally was to build a frame and use an old straight axle and 410 Edsel engine I have in the garage. But after seeing more and more people driving their home built rods I decided to take the easy road and buy an old Ranger throw in a small block Ford, swap cabs and start driving. It took two weeks and about $2000 and I,m on the road enjoying my old rusty truck. And I still have enough parts to build another "proper" rat rod. Build what you want and what you can afford and enjoy it. You can always refine it and change things later.

Attachments

• 39 plymouth 019.jpg
    39 plymouth 019.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 39 plymouth 023.jpg
    39 plymouth 023.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 197
  • 39 plymouth 027.JPG
    39 plymouth 027.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 215
Heres some pics of my rig. It's actually on a Ranger frame. I understand the opposition to using IFS on a fenderless rod and used to subscribe to that idea. My plan originally was to build a frame and use an old straight axle and 410 Edsel engine I have in the garage. But after seeing more and more people driving their home built rods I decided to take the easy road and buy an old Ranger throw in a small block Ford, swap cabs and start driving. It took two weeks and about $2000 and I,m on the road enjoying my old rusty truck. And I still have enough parts to build another "proper" rat rod. Build what you want and what you can afford and enjoy it. You can always refine it and change things later.

Nicely done in 2 weeks!
It actually looks pretty good with the hood. It gives a reason why it looks a tad nose heavy.
Bravo

I'm not a fan of the 'bay but its helped me out as a type of catalog to see what styles are out there.

There is a nice almost complete '49 project for sale out here - nice to my beginner eyes anyway. Sits on an s-10 frame. Price seems a little low tho for what you are getting which makes we wonder what hidden surprises may exist?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220988405798&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

Price does seem low considering all the work that has been done.
It looks as though the plan was to run hood and fenders up front, which on that truck, it should.
But it looks great so far. Especially if he'll include the original frame and flathead v8 for no additional cost.

These are he 2 trucks that inspired me to build the truck im workin on now, there just bad ask,

Love the proportions of both!!!!! the smithies build (lower) has been on my damn cool look list for a few years -first time seeing the other. Now that you guys have drawn my eye to it I can't help but stare at the huge frame rails out front. [S Thanks :D

Heres a couple more

Attachments

• ratrod3.jpg
    ratrod3.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 205
  • truck_low23.jpg
    truck_low23.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 261
30's trucks need the wheels set forward with the grill shell about the center of the wheels or behind center to look right IMHO. 40's and 50"s can get away with a bit more front overhang because the factory had moved the axles back by then.

The S-10 frames are a bit thick in the front and bulky looking to be out in the open. My mid 80's Toyota frame is thinner and has better curves and doesn't look as bulky.

I'm all for using what ya got, but I think if it was me I study some pics to get just the right look before I started cutting and welding.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth....

Built it with s-10 frame. had it, used it. for better or worse. lol :D

Proauctioneer, is there a name for that bull bar piece you fabbed up? Clever idea to work with the thick framing.

Beginner question, please feel free to PM me so I don't derail this thread but performance wise are the thicker beefier S-10 components an advantage or disadvantage than say a super bell dropped straight axle? Or is this apples to oranges?

here is one I helped put together for a friend , it has a Toyota frame but same concept , the big thing is to slide the motor back so you can put the grille centered with the front wheels , headlights and other parts can cover and pull your eyes away from the a-arms , and you can always up a straight axle under later when your budget can swing, best part is to build what you have and get out and drive it you can always change later , good luck[cl[cl[cl

Attachments

• 101_0156.jpg
    101_0156.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 120
I saw an S-10 frame for sale recently, it had been blasted and painted black. Guy was asking $500 for it.

I personally think it is easier to build your own frame and not that much more money. In the end you will have something you like rather than something you settled for.

If you can't build the chassis yourself there are shops out there that can do it for you for a reasonable price.

A very basic T style frame can usually be fabbed up by a shop for around $800 or so.

Add a good forged drop axle, not drilled, spindles, spring, hairpins for around $700 - $800 find a junk yard rear end and brakes, hubs etc.

At the end of the day you could have a nice, well made roller for around $2500 that looks good is rust free and reliable.

Just my .02 worth

Using te s10 frame

I think you proved my point , 2500 for a frame , then what about the brake system and other assorted parts that total up to mass quantities of cash . Yes the s10 chassis is ugly but you have most of your chassis issues taken care of , oh and by the way those pics of the trucks were awesome . After all I build um cuz I can afford to , if I had an endless supply of money I'd build a street rod ,,,, that's my .02 cents worth

Add a good forged drop axle, not drilled, spindles, spring, hairpins for around $700 - $800 find a junk yard rear end and brakes, hubs etc.

...well made roller for around $2500...

...then what about the brake system and other assorted parts that total up to mass quantities of cash .

Are you selective reading? [S It may be cheaper to use the S-10 frame, but it won't be as cheap in the end as you're thinking. It won't be any easier than building your own frame either. 6 one way, 1/2 a dozen the other.

I do think it is possible to use a s10 frame and make a cool open wheel rod. Unfortunately, no one has nailed it yet (opinion). Rebstew (I think) did a good looking clipped IFS front end.

Latest posts

Back