Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Engine Q&A!

Engine Q&A! The spot for engine talk, Q&A & tall tales!

Old 01-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default off topic ford truck

anybody here know anything about 93 ford f150 5.0 fuel injection? i'm lost on my grandson's truck and am about to pull my hair out.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Rocket Surgeon

What's the problem? Symptoms? Do you have a code reader?

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 01-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

flashing no code no check engine light. passenger side runs great but pull any plug wire on drivers side and it makes no difference. it's the 5.0 multi port injection. it was a gradual thing as it started with a slight miss and over a two to three week area it went down on the drivers side. i did have to replace one injector and it is on the side that is not working. i'm just short of pulling it and putting a chevy 305 700r4 in it but my grandson knows nothing about cars/trucks. uses the i don't know what i'm doing, i told him none of us did when we started. i really don't want to pull it but i can't seem to figure it out. it has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and o2 sensor.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:23 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Stick a intake and carb on it, change to a 85 Mustang GT distributor and run it.....
Old 01-28-2020, 09:09 PM

Head over to here and ask for help. Decent bunch. I have a 89 and they have been great. I hope to do what Bamamav mentioned in the future though. Jim

https://www.f150forum.com
Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

bobby i have thought about changing the intake. i'll have to try to find one. the only thing i worry about do that is the aod trans.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Troadster View Post
bobby i have thought about changing the intake. i'll have to try to find one. the only thing i worry about do that is the aod trans.
It's not that hard, you can buy ready made brackets and cables or do like I did and modify stock stuff. The main thing is the carb linkage bracket--you want the TV cable to move exactly the same amount as the gas cable, but in the opposite direction. I used a stock cable, made a bracket to mount it to the intake, and then I fabbed up a bolt on arm for the carb that puts the TV cable the exact same distance from the carb throttle shaft as the throttle gas cable is in the opposite direction. If you look through my build pics I think there is a pic of the lever arm I made out of aluminum. Both cable connection points are exactly the same distance from the throttle shaft, so they move through the same arc. It's best to build a little adjustability into your cable bracket, a slot to move it works well, you want the TV cable to be snug at idle, but not tight, just no slack in it. Then if you have to adjust the shift points you can tighten the cable a bit or let off a smidge, better a little tight than too loose. Too loose will allow it to slip in gear, a no no, tight will just mean a quicker, firmer shift.

There is a factory carbed AOD combo, I can't remember what year it is right now off the top of my head, maybe 85? If you could find one of those you'd have the correct carb and TV cable brackets to do the swap with.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:18 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

forgot to say when this started the wipers and radio sopped working as well.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Having no idea what you've done so far, and at the risk of stating the obvious...

- Do you have power to the non-functioning injectors? You should have full battery voltage at each.

- Your computer pulses the injectors via connection to ground. Poor grounds are the source of countless issues. I don't know where your computer's ground terminal is, but I would find it and any others. (I suspect the wiper/radio death is a ground problem as well.)

Assuming you have power to the injectors and proper grounds, you might have a harness issue. You can test the harness (from the computer connector pins) for each injector's ground with an ohm meter. I can find that information if you want it...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think Dr C is right, sounds like a ground issue. Make sure there is a ground strap from the engine to the battery as well as on to the body/firewall area.