ebay SUCKS: Part 2!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I sold a primo set of '65 Texas license plates & since the buyer has ebay's "buyer protection plan" ebay withholds your money until the buyer receives the item & then reports that delivery back to ebay. That's all she wrote... ebay is dead to me!!!

BoB

Wow, so what happens when the buyer doesnt report the delivery of there parts. Or do they have to sign for the package and thats how e gay knows. Sounds like a good way to get screwed as a seller

I never ship without a tracking number anymore. Got burned several years ago, buyer claimed he never got the item, I sent a replacement, a few weeks later, BOTH were for sale by him! Never again!
And I never ship until the money is in my paypal account. If they want to try and hold the money, I won't be shipping anything, plain and simple.

I used to love Ebay and made a ton of money selling stuff on there over the years. But it has changed, they have gotten greedy and they don't care about their sellers, only the buyers.

By the time they hit you with listing fees, final value fees, shipping fees (and they don't even have ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SHIPPING :mad:) and 3% for using Paypal, they make more on the sale than you do.

I really dislike them these days, and wish a competitor would come along and do it right.

Don

I had a six month ****ing contest with EvilBay... Selling a set of wheels...while I was trying to get a quote to ship the wheels in one crate..the buyer insisted that I send them via USPS in four box`s...so I did as instructed. Well the post office only delivered three..the forth wheel was lost...guess what? The seller wanted his money back...and refused to return the three wheels, until he had all the funds...when I declined to do so, both eBay & Paypal froze my account !... USE CRAIGS LIST !

I had a similar problem with them years ago. I sold a boat on there and the bidder "changed their mind", so I relisted it and also did a second chance offer to two other bidders. The 3rd guy ended up buying it. HOWEVER, Ebay billed me as if I had sold 3 boats, not one boat. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get them to understand that I only had one boat sold, not 3 ! :mad: Back then you couldn't speak to a real human being, just communicate via computer.

They billed me for $ 240 instead of the correct amount of $ 80, so I had no choice but to close my account so they wouldn't rob me of $ 160. Now, if I want to buy something, I give my Son the money and he bids and pays for me.

They had such a great concept going , but greed got in their way and ruined it.

Don

Man I am glad I didn't read this before I sold my '48 dually on Ebay.
I probably would have been scared off and not listed it.

I guess I must have got lucky or something. I had no problems and the deal went thru without a hitch.

I thought about tryin to sell my sedn on ebay, not thikin thats such a good idea now .

It's really hit or miss when it comes to selling big items on Ebay. Last year my Son sold one of his boats on there and a guy won it. He came to look at it, loved it and promised to send the required payment that day via bank transfer.

Didn't hear from him the next day, so we called the guy who said "My wife doesn't want me to buy it, so I have to back out !" :mad: So he had to relist it. Some people think they are bidding to come look at it, they don't understand the concept of bidding to own it. And Ebay does not back you up on anything, they protect the buyer, not the seller.

When we tried to put negative feedback against him, Ebay said our comments could not be negative and the feedback could not say what actually happened. :rolleyes: All we wanted to say was that he won it and backed out, but that was not ok.

But sometimes it can be good too. Today I bought a set of Ford shop manuals for my new 2000 Mustang on Ebay for $ 60, and they shipped out already. That is why I have a love/hate relationship with them. It is better to be a buyer on there than a seller IMO.

Don

It's really hit or miss when it comes to selling big items on Ebay. Last year my Son sold one of his boats on there and a guy won it. He came to look at it, loved it and promised to send the required payment that day via bank transfer.

Didn't hear from him the next day, so we called the guy who said "My wife doesn't want me to buy it, so I have to back out !" :mad: So he had to relist it. Some people think they are bidding to come look at it, they don't understand the concept of bidding to own it. And Ebay does not back you up on anything, they protect the buyer, not the seller.

When we tried to put negative feedback against him, Ebay said our comments could not be negative and the feedback could not say what actually happened. :rolleyes: All we wanted to say was that he won it and backed out, but that was not ok.

But sometimes it can be good too. Today I bought a set of Ford shop manuals for my new 2000 Mustang on Ebay for $ 60, and they shipped out already. That is why I have a love/hate relationship with them. It is better to be a buyer on there than a seller IMO.

Don

I've only ever bought on eBay, never sold. I always got the impression that people don't realize they're playing with real money.

….. And Ebay does not back you up on anything, they protect the buyer, not the seller…..
Don

Don - I don't know about that. I sold my '51 bel air on ebay. I went smooth.

When I bought my '59 Olds there I was told by ebay that my purchase qualified for buyer protection. Then when I got the car witch was blatantly misrepresented. Ebay referred me to their claims adjuster who said I wasn't covered. So their word means nothing.

I still shop for hard to find parts there. It still is maybe true best place to get cheap national exposure. But it always comes down to the seller/buyer in the end.

Don

That's because ebay is all about buyers not sellers which is kind of backwards IMO. I encountered the same thing, ebay wouldn't let me post negative feedback about the buyer when he backed out but let him post negative BS about me. That's when I stopped selling anything there! Like Tripper said, they suck!

Beercan

You can still file a non-paying bidder against them can't you? Not that it helps but I've made buyers pay my fees with the threat of filing it.
I got a negative a year or so ago over $5 in shipping the seller wanted me to give him back on a fixed shipping cost listing. I was able to post a comment on his feed back.

Latest posts

Back