Ol' Goat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Banger

I have had this '65 GTO for 20 years now, a good old California car that is mostly original unrestored. "Three Deuces and a 4 Speed and a 389"
IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Nice, I love GTO's! I've had 2 65's a 66 a 68 a 70 and even a 74! (most people don't really consider those GTO's though) Yours looks really clean! Man 20 years I can't imagine what it would be like to keep a car that long! I wished I could do that.

WAY COOL! My Uncle had one just like that (except his was red) when I was a kid (35yrs ago) and that car is the main reason I am now a car junkie! He still has it and is in the process of totally restoring it. I love those old goats.[dr

I have had 11 GTO's, this is the first one I bought.

62ChevyII - I bet your uncle didn't pay much for his GTO in 1975?

I think it was the sound of the 396 in my dad's '68 GMC that did it for me. That poor truck got wiped out in a head on collision. It had factory bucket seats and tachometer too, what a shame! I was knocked out cold, we didn't wear seat belts back then.

Good looking Goat![dr I've been lucky enough in life to own 3 65's and a 68. Loved every one of them!!!!CR

I have had 11 GTO's, this is the first one I bought.

I think it was the sound of the 396 in my dad's '68 GMC that did it for me. That poor truck got wiped out in a head on collision. It had factory bucket seats and tachometer too, what a shame! I was knocked out cold, we didn't wear seat belts back then.

I paid $800 for my first 65 in 1970. It was in immaculate condition. 389 with 3 2's, 4 speed, 411 rear. I was only 17 and had to take my father to buy the car because you have to be 18 to buy a car here. I'll never forget the look on his face when that hood was opened!!! No way he kept saying, you'll kill yourself! It took a lot of persuasion to get him to sign for that one!!! I sold my last one, the 68, in 1976 for $750. You couldn't hardly give Muscle cars away back then. The 68 was in great condition too. If I only had enough "foresight" back then!....CR

Very nice looking goat, I think 65 was the cleanest design in some ways.

I had two in my life......a 66 tripower, 4 speed post car that I bought brand new in 66 and a 66 convertible, 4 barrel, 4 speed that I bought from a friend in about 68 for $ 800.00. Wish I had em both now. For years I was a Pontiac guy, also had a 63 Bonneville convertible, 389 tripower, 3 speed stick car that surprised MANY 327 Chevies in street races.

Don

Good stories!

There was a '66 post Tri-Power 4 speed in Florida on ebay a few weeks ago. Dark green/turquoise with matching interior. It had some rust but was all original. I wish it was closer to home.

I had a '66 convertible Tri-Power 4 speed, black, black top, red interior. It had a lot of rust and the original motor was gone. It is in Oregon now.

I saw a black on black '65 sitting in a yard in Victoria, B.C. with leaves piled half way up the body. It was a Tri-Power 4 speed car with original Royal Bobcat decals on it. I offered the owned a big bag of money and a '65 convertible but he was not interested. Oh well...

Yeah, I don't remember exactly what he said he paid but it was rediculously cheap. I think he bought it somewhere around 1971 or 72 or so... I'll have to ask him about that next time I talk to him. I took many wild rides in that thing back then. By the time he had kids of his own, it was sitting out back and all run down.:mad: His boys are all fighting over who gets it when he passes away some day and they never even saw the thing run much less rode in it. I can settle that fight, just give it to me.:D

65 is my favorite year of the GTOs, hands down.[dr

Great cars, never owned one, but rode in several. A friend of my brothers had a 64 all original tripower and may have been the quickest of all the ones I rode in, pretty light car at that point. I knew two cousins that had 66's both tri-power and had another guy down the street with a 67 400 single four barrel with the hurst gated shifter on the automatic. That car was a smoke show, man it literally could smoke the tire most of a block (and thats no exaggeration). Last guy I knew who had one was a 74 which was basically a ventura/nova body but this one had the 455 in it. Even as smogged out as it was it would still get with the program pretty good.

Regards,

Rev. D.

I know what you mean about the '67 GTO, I had one with the 400 H.O. it still pulled hard with 85,000 miles on it. It is in Los Angeles, California now.

This is the '67 I had with the 400 H.O. The list of factory installed options was very long, it didn't have a/c, headrests or reclining passenger seat but pretty much everything else. It was ordered by an employee at BowMac in Vancouver, B.C. and was $5286 new.

IMG-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back