Broken bolt removal, what works for you?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YT is correct, the rod is more than just cold rolled steel, but it does weld nice. Extend the rod out as far as it will go, that way the heat won't travel back down the shaft and ruin the seal in the cap. Be sure to tape up or somehow protect the surface of the shaft from weld splatter. The surface will have a hard chrome finish and the weld splatter will stick to it, it would end up ripping out the seals when it's extended and retracted. I have a cylinder sitting in the shop with the same problem, it was a rescue from the scrap bin. Haven't found a use for it yet, so I haven't got off my duff and fixed it.

YT is correct, the rod is more than just cold rolled steel, but it does weld nice. Extend the rod out as far as it will go, that way the heat won't travel back down the shaft and ruin the seal in the cap. Be sure to tape up or somehow protect the surface of the shaft from weld splatter. The surface will have a hard chrome finish and the weld splatter will stick to it, it would end up ripping out the seals when it's extended and retracted. I have a cylinder sitting in the shop with the same problem, it was a rescue from the scrap bin. Haven't found a use for it yet, so I haven't got off my duff and fixed it.

That's what I was thinking. I figured since it took plating, it should weld. I had thought about taping off the rest, too.

As an update on the bolts, no luck yet. Have used 4 rods up, one washer and three nuts without success. Have twisted the nut off three times, the last time with the washer. All on one bolt. :eek: Going to try it again in a few minutes. I'm thinking I would have been better off to have just bought some drill bits.:( Probably will to work on the other three.

Beginning to think the "special" welding rods are over priced crock of chit. Used most of them up on one bolt, all 6 of the nuts I bought, no luck. I twist the nut off the washer every time. Going to find some extra long nuts and try welding the outside of the nut as well as the inside and see if that works. 1/2 a day fooling with one bolt and still no progress.:mad:

Screw it for now. Fixing to go to the first cruise in of the year! Was going to drive the Lincoln, but this cold front came through, I can't roll the drivers side window up over half way, plus no heater, so I'm going in the Vette.:D

ive seen them do it at work but they were not in there for long like yours is .. they would get a washer almost as big as the bolt and weld it to the stud then get the nut and weld it inside and out to the washer ,,, and it comes right out ,,, Id think they would use a 7018 rods .. im thinking this would be a stronger weld Im no welder so I dont know . but my luck is about like yours ,,, but im not welding anything but every thing I have touched in the past month or so has turned to chit !!!! ... but I'll get it fixed up soon enough ..good luck on the bolt removing . may have to drill and tape .. you probably dont want to hear that though ..

Beginning to think the "special" welding rods are over priced crock of chit.

Well that really bites. Using a wrench or vise grips? I prefer the vise grips myself, you can feel what's happening, a wrench is to sloppy. Clamp on to it good and tight and 'rock' the grips back and forth with real short stokes. You can generally feel when it breaks loose and keep it moving with longer and longer strokes until it will spin around and thread out. This technique works for me with the ones that have really taken root.

I'm using a wrench. Having to hammer it on the nut most times, I always end up with a bit of slag on the outside of the nut. Going to try to weld a short bolt to the washer next time, that way I don't have to worry about slag making the wrench or socket not fit.

As a side note, cruise in was good, had a great turnout. On a sour note, ended up leaving the Vette there overnight, dang thing pitched a fit and won't crank. Again. :mad::mad::mad: My rollback guy can't get to it until in the morning, if it's still there. At this point, I really don't care if it isn't.......

I'm using a wrench. Having to hammer it on the nut most times, I always end up with a bit of slag on the outside of the nut. Going to try to weld a short bolt to the washer next time, that way I don't have to worry about slag making the wrench or socket not fit.

As a side note, cruise in was good, had a great turnout. On a sour note, ended up leaving the Vette there overnight, dang thing pitched a fit and won't crank. Again. :mad::mad::mad: My rollback guy can't get to it until in the morning, if it's still there. At this point, I really don't care if it isn't.......
Damn, Bro. I hope you are getting all the bad used up for a while. Its gotta get better. Hang in there.

A little update: I got two of the bolts out! [cl Also found out that one hole was empty, so that makes a total of three out of five. [cl The rods did work after I got the hang of them, but have went through 12 of them already, plus a pound of 6011's and 12 nuts and washers. :eek: On two bolts.:eek: I'm a decent welder, but no pro. A pro would have gotten them out with less trouble I'm sure. I have one more to get out, it's the deepest one, and it's not going so good. Not giving up on it yet, really need it out too.

A good man with a torch can blow those bolts out, and a quick pass with a threading die will get rid of any slag bits left. Done it myself many times. Even a hitch bolt on an IHC!

A good man with a torch can blow those bolts out, and a quick pass with a threading die will get rid of any slag bits left. Done it myself many times. Even a hitch bolt on an IHC!

This is true. A good torch man like my cousin can do this, and I've seen where he's done it. On the other hand, I would end up destroying the whole thing, and plugging up the torch tip.

I said I'd be happy if I got four out of five out, looks like that's what it's gonna be. The last one was just too deep, used 8 of the special rods and it still won't budge. All the others came out fine, threads are all good. Even got the end of the cylinder out of the saddle clevis and welded it back on the cylinder ram. Got to get some grade 8 bolts in the morning, then put her back together. Then I can do some bush hogging!

I said I'd be happy if I got four out of five out, looks like that's what it's gonna be. The last one was just too deep, used 8 of the special rods and it still won't budge. All the others came out fine, threads are all good. Even got the end of the cylinder out of the saddle clevis and welded it back on the cylinder ram. Got to get some grade 8 bolts in the morning, then put her back together. Then I can do some bush hogging!

You're kidding? All this so you can cut the grass?

Yep DJ, cut grass.:D I've got about 5 acres on my side of the highway, and about 2-3 acres on my Pa in Law's side that I have to keep cut. Plus, I have my circle drive where I park my big truck, and a circle drive about 1/4 mile down the road where I turn around at that I keep leveled out. Have to have the three point lift to do both. Plus, I have a attachment that I built that I use to pull with, it has a hitch ball plus chain hooks mounted on top, works great for moving non running vehicles. Plan on adding a removable boom to it also, that way I can pick up heavy stuff like engines and move them around.

It may be an old ratty farm tractor, but it gets used for a little bit of everything but farming. :D

My best buddy built a pallet mover for his 3-point. Very handy at times.

Glad you are up an running. [cl

Got everything bolted back up today with grade 8 bolts, they should outlast me! Haven't been able to try it though, we have had rain almost all day, and have had to work between down pours. Got everything bolted up, went to crank it up, and the starter wanted to act up like it does from time to time. Think my key switch has went south, going to pull it and may even rewire it tomorrow. The 60 year old wiring has been patched several times, think it's time to yank it and replace it with new.

Here's the area I was working on, you can see the new grade 8 bolts. I know, the hydraulic lines need replacing. That's next after the starter.

Here's how many nuts and washers it took, + 14 of the special rods @ $3 each, + 1 pound of 6011 rods.

Looks like the starter has went south on me :(. Going to see if it can be rebuilt in a week or two. Being off all week has cut into the pocketbook.:(

No wonder they rusted so much, they sit in a depression. I'd sure be considering how to keep them from rusting again. Maybe water jacket thread sealant on all the bolts and a cover?

No wonder they rusted so much, they sit in a depression. I'd sure be considering how to keep them from rusting again. Maybe water jacket thread sealant on all the bolts and a cover?

fill/bury/cover the area under grease

Latest posts

Back