vinegar rust removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the time to wait this is the way to go.I tried it last week with a couple of parts that I found in my drill Press catch box under the table when I was cleaning it up.

One was a 9/16 drill bit
One was a part of some type of machinests vice
One was a arbor from a hole saw that was rusted so bad that it did not even slide.

All of these were rusted real bad.

PowermaticDrillPress023.jpg

I used a Garlic seasoning container that I dug out of our recycle bin.I chose this container so I could actually see the progress.
PowermaticDrillPress024.jpg

I just picked up a quart of off brand Sunny Valley Apple Cider Vinagar that I picked up at FOOD MAX and left them in for a week.

I washed them in really hot water and was done.But you will need to lube them up or they will flash rust in less than 24 hours.

They came out rust free and clean.Not to mention Salad Fresh smelling.

PowermaticDrillPress004.jpg

PowermaticDrillPress005.jpg

I am going to try the battery charger one on the belt guard for my drill press to see if that really works.

Try not to spill it or get it all over you or you will smell real ripe.Not to mention that the smell is hard to get out of the garage.

coke works great as well. But be careful because coke is really acidy (sp?) and will eat your parts. For instance put a nail in a can of coke for a week and the nail will be gone. Works as good as the vinegar but may not take as long, but the vinegar is a little safer on the parts id say.

I did not notice anty metal missing from any of the parts.They say it takes the metal away when using it.

They look just like when I put them in.Just clean now.

Coke contains phosphoric acid, the same stuff that is used in rust converters like ospho.....I prefer the washing soda + water + dc current. Takes the oil, grease and paint off as well......

Pretty sure if your doing this on something that is to be painted you should neutralize it after with some thing like bacon soda.

Ultimate rust remover.

50% solution of sodium hydroxide and water. You can buy this pre-mixed from aldrich. (This gets hot so use it in glass and then move to plastic. It will eat the glass eventually. Assuming you are mixing this yourself. other wise the 50% from aldrich can go right in plastic))

Put part in, won't take long.

Because this is a base you will need to neutralize with an acid. I use nitric acid mixed with water. Usually about 1 part acid to 90 parts water. (always pour acid into water.

Neutralize the acid with baking soda and water 50%.

I have done this without neutralizing in acid. just have to rinse really well. I would guess that you could also rinse with a mild acid like, apple cider vinegar or coke.

Just be careful. It will eat aluminum quickly but won't eat steel as fast. I usually limit to 30 minute to an hour soak time. I have left parts in over night to see what would happen, part disintegrates.

Fast and easy though. I tried the apple cider vinegar and it was SLOW and still required the baking soda rinse.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i have an entire cab i want to paint matte black eventually. Someone, years before i came around, stripped all the paint off the cab and left it to rot.
The rust isn't too bad, as in, not yet scaling, but its pretty dang thick still. Wire wheel takes forever to break through the barrier to clean metal.
Does anyone have any experience cleaning large areas with any of the above methods?
I'm thinking taking a spray bottle with whatever method and spraying the entire truck down every 30 minutes or so for however long it takes to clean it up.
I know the truck is a rat but i want to do alot of lead filler on the truck before paint.
The bed is the same issue so i have quite a bit to derust.
Ive also heard acid dipping of some sort as well, but I'd prefer to keep this "in house"
Heres the project:

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 52
I have been using this for a while and have had good results. I soak my finished parts in water with baking soda and it has slowed the flash over to a crawl.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i have an entire cab i want to paint matte black eventually. Someone, years before i came around, stripped all the paint off the cab and left it to rot.
The rust isn't too bad, as in, not yet scaling, but its pretty dang thick still. Wire wheel takes forever to break through the barrier to clean metal.
Does anyone have any experience cleaning large areas with any of the above methods?
I'm thinking taking a spray bottle with whatever method and spraying the entire truck down every 30 minutes or so for however long it takes to clean it up.
I know the truck is a rat but i want to do alot of lead filler on the truck before paint.
The bed is the same issue so i have quite a bit to derust.
Ive also heard acid dipping of some sort as well, but I'd prefer to keep this "in house"
Heres the project:

I'm a little late to the game here but you sound like you're the perfect candidate for a molasses bath! It's amazing how well this stuff works!

Rust removal..............the miracle of molasses!

JML,
1. find a kiddie pool and use a pump and spray nozzle to spray the cab / bed with vinegar.
OR, spray the bare metal with sea salt and warm water to match the rest of the car and call it a real rat rod........

apple cider vin works great

first time I tried it was on some door latch mechanisms and after a few days they looked great but Iwas in a rush and didnt clean them afterwards. so the super rusted quick! after the next round I threw them in a bucket of dish soap and water and hittem with a scrub brush, quick dry with a compressor and blowhard. then soaked with WD-40 worked flawless. other than a random piece of pot metal that dissappeared haha

I'm a little late to the game here but you sound like you're the perfect candidate for a molasses bath! It's amazing how well this stuff works!

Rust removal..............the miracle of molasses!

Hummmmmmm. Good info.
Wonder how you get rid of the molasses after your done?!
I'm not at all opposed to building a big arse wooden pool and wheel the cab into it.:p
Anything to make the girl wonder what the hell im doing :)
Ya should have seen her face the first time she saw me carefully placing powder coated parts in the oven in the garage [cl
She always wondered what the oven was for.:D

Latest posts

Back