Bolt polishing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I know, sounds out of place around here, but some of us like shiny stuff in a few places.:D I bought some 1/4" carriage head bolts to fill some holes in my Lincoln until I get around to welding them shut. First ones I got from Lowes were smooth headed and already looked polished. Last ones I got came from Home Depot, they were a little duller, and had three raised letters on the heads. I was wondering how I could get the letters off without distorting the bolt head, and just happened to look toward my drill press. Idea! I chucked them into the press one by one, and first sanded the letters off with 80 grit paper. I always run my press on the slowest speed, so there was no problem with the paper grabbing the bolt. I wasn't happy with the finish of the 80 grit, a bit dull, so I grabbed a piece of 400 grit and did it again. Perfect! Bolt head came out with a shiny machined look finish. You could use finer paper is you are going for a mirror finish.

Yes, stainless steel. I didn't want them to rust. They will be taken out and the holes welded shut one of these days. Figured it might be a while, so I went with stainless bolts and nuts so no problems getting them out later on.

Latest posts

Back