Going to freshen up my 27

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Dawn on my engines to degrease as well.I figure that if they can use it on wildlife after a oil spill it must be good stuff
Torchie

Visions from a foggy mind: seagulls blowing bubbles....:D:rolleyes:

Even in pieces that's a fine looking ride!!!

Thanks SF.

Today is the big day, the motor is going back in. I got all the parts in this week, and started installing the flywheel last Thursday.

My crate motor showed up Wednesday, Jegs got it here in 3 days ! :eek: It looks go good I am not even going to disturb it by putting in a cam, I am just going to bolt on the tripower and other parts and call it good. I have it just sitting for now, and in November, at Turkey Run, I will buy all the parts I need for it, like the distributor, alternator, etc. There are always a ton of vendors there selling new parts at show prices and for a sbc you can get everything you need.

I'll post some pictures after the motor goes into the 27 today.

Don

Yeah, I bought a Goodwrench crate longblock from Jegs for the rpu I am building. They had it on sale for $ 1329.00 with free shipping, and I couldn't pass it up.

I was going to use that 394 Olds in the rpu, but it still needs remachined and put back together again. It would have cost me about $3-$4,000 before it was over, and I just couldn't see putting that much into it again (I had about that much in it the first time it was machined and built, and the guy did a lousy job)

So, I am going to go with the belly button sbc, and for the $1330 I couldn't even have rebuilt on for that amount, Here it is in all it's glory ! :D

Today I got the engine back in the 27. Now I just have to have a new radiator made, and I called PRC yesterday and am going to send them pictures and dimensions on the one I have been running in the car for the past 25 years. It is time to retire that one and get a new one in there.

Here are some pictures from today;

Don

Today I ordered a new radiator from The Brassworks in California. They built the original one 25 years ago, and it is just tired. I thought I could have PRC build me an aluminum one for around $550, but they looked at the pictures and detailed drawing I sent them and said they could not build one this small.

This is the one the Brassworks built for me years ago, it has seen better days and has a lot of miles on it:

I paid around $700 for it way back then, but now, the same radiator is $920.00 plus shipping. I have no choice, it is a special 3 1/2 inch thick core with a custom 32 Ford top tank, and a model a lower tank. As small as it is, it does keep my engine at 180 ish, even in traffic in Florida in Summer. So I am not going to cut corners. Nothing worse than a car that over heats.

Should take about 4 weeks, so by the end of July I should have the 27 back on the road. I guess if you spread $1000 out over 25 years it isn't a bad investment in the end. At that rate, I will be 95 years old before I need another radiator ! :eek:

Don

So I am not going to cut corners. Nothing worse than a car that over heats!

Don

I agree! Living in a hot climate puts a strain on cooling systems & I usually try for overkill! I lucked out & got a scratch & dent 4-core big block Walker for my Nailhead & I can sit in 100+ degree traffic & never get over 190 degrees. I use a high volume elec fan but *never* have to worry about getting stuck in traffic & overheating!

Glad you got it comin' back together!!!

BoB

I just turned my new crate motor into a CORVETTE engine !! :D I scored a nice pair of early Vette valve covers on Ebay this week. I was going to buy a set of the repops, but they are not the same quality as the original sets......they have bad casting and huge parting lines.

I got into a bidding war with some other guy and had to pay a little more than I wanted ( $283 +$20 shipping) but that is what repops go for, so I did ok.

I keep looking at the rpu sitting there and I know I better resist the urge to start working on it again or I will never get the 27 back on the road, or my altered built. Hopefully, at Turkey Run in November I can find a lot of the pieces I need for the rpu to get it running.

Don

Here is my latest score: (now I can lie and tell everyone I have a Corvette engine in my rod !) :D

Don, didn't you know all Chevy V8's are Corvette engines? :rolleyes: At least that's what you'd think, it seems like every one you see they say it's a Corvette engine, even if it came out of a school bus! :D

On a side note, I saw a 86 Corvette on Craigslist a while back, the ad said the 350 in it came from a school bus. I don't think I would have told anybody I did that! :rolleyes:

Tonight my two Sons took me to dinner for my Birthday, and I got a cool present from them. It is an Edelbrock tripower intake manifold for the crate 350 I am going to put in my rpu project ! :D:D I could not be happier, it will look great with my Vette valve covers.

I kept the three Rochester carbs I rebuilt for the Olds engine, so those will be right at home on this manifold and should look pretty old timey.

Even Daisy thinks it is pretty cool ! :D

Don

Don, Daisy doesn't care about the manifold, she just wants to lay in the box:D Good looking manifold, Don and Dan are 2 great kids!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back