Chevy 350 question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guy's quick question . Does the 350 change bellhousing bolt pattern any ?

I have a 350 that I'm working on and when I went to put it on my engine stand I had to re-position the mounts that I had from a previous 350. The previous one is a mid 70's that came out of a truck . The engine I'm working on now came from a 68 chevelle.I thought that chevy made most of their engine tranny bellhousings the same.

Somebody monkeyed with your stand... or you didn't have a Chevy on it last time. The bell pattern has been the same since 1955 and I believe they still use it today...

Supposedly there were small and large bellhousings, but not sure if that affected the bolt pattern... these were for different size flywheels/clutches...

Found this info for you:

Engine Block Patterns
All Chevy V6 and V8 engines continue to use the same block-to-bellhousing pattern as introduced in 1955. This includes Generation I, II and III engines. Some Gen. III engines omit drilling and tapping one hole in the block. The installer can drill and tap this blank boss appropriately and it may be recommended to do so if maximum strength is required.

The Chevy I6 "Blue Flame" (235 cid, etc.) used from 1950-1961 use a different engine block pattern. However, the Chevy 265 cid (and its following 250 & 292 variants) from 1962-1990.
The GM (technically a Pontiac) 151 "Iron Duke" also shares this same block pattern. However, the Jeep bellhousings from these engines (1980-1982) rarely fit the full-size clutches of the V6/V8 engines. Flywheels do not interchange.

GM Atlas engines - the new generation of I6, I5 & I4 - use the same standardized engine block pattern as the 1955-on engines.

Chevrolet / GM Big Block V8 engines have the same block pattern. Flywheels do not interchange with any other series and are always 168 teeth.

Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac block patterns (BOPC) are different. However, note that some of these cars increasingly used Chevrolet engines, supplanting their own V8 designs as GM gravitated towards a more unified powertrain.

Last edited:
Dirtyrat......please answer this question. I have a 1992 454 5th gen I belive it called. what trans will interchange with this engine......400,350? Munsey 4 sp?
it has a 400E that I would not like to spend 7 to 8 hundred for the stand alone controller. so I'm looking at all options[S Thanks Doug

Supposedly there were small and large bellhousings, but not sure if that affected the bolt pattern... these were for different size flywheels/clutches...

Found this info for you:

Engine Block Patterns
All Chevy V6 and V8 engines continue to use the same block-to-bellhousing pattern as introduced in 1955. This includes Generation I, II and III engines. Some Gen. III engines omit drilling and tapping one hole in the block. The installer can drill and tap this blank boss appropriately and it may be recommended to do so if maximum strength is required.

The Chevy I6 "Blue Flame" (235 cid, etc.) used from 1950-1961 use a different engine block pattern. However, the Chevy 265 cid (and its following 250 & 292 variants) from 1962-1990.
The GM (technically a Pontiac) 151 "Iron Duke" also shares this same block pattern. However, the Jeep bellhousings from these engines (1980-1982) rarely fit the full-size clutches of the V6/V8 engines. Flywheels do not interchange.

GM Atlas engines - the new generation of I6, I5 & I4 - use the same standardized engine block pattern as the 1955-on engines.

Chevrolet / GM Big Block V8 engines have the same block pattern. Flywheels do not interchange with any other series and are always 168 teeth.

Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac block patterns (BOPC) are different. However, note that some of these cars increasingly used Chevrolet engines, supplanting their own V8 designs as GM gravitated towards a more unified powertrain.

One typo in that good and thorough info. Should read 230, not 265 (and it's 250 & 292 variants.

Dirtyrat......please answer this question. I have a 1992 454 5th gen I belive it called. what trans will interchange with this engine......400,350? Munsey 4 sp?
it has a 400E that I would not like to spend 7 to 8 hundred for the stand alone controller. so I'm looking at all options[S Thanks Doug

As far as I know the big block 454 and small block 350 have the same bolt pattern, so anything that will fit a 350 will fit the 454...:)

Fords are the thinking mans vehicle. ;)

Haha, that's what I always used to say, anyone can work on a chevy but it takes a real mechanic to work on a Ford. Plus I could never find a chevy that hadn't been hacked on by a gomer or high school kid. Fords were mostly old man trucks (cars) and remained largely unmolested. Every Camero or shortbed chevy I ever bought/sold had a mile of red wire taped up under the dash and a cheap stereo that looked like they installed it with a big rock and a railroad spike. Always had the fan shroud missing and one 4 foot long spark plug wire wrapped around the master cylinder.

Fords are the thinking mans vehicle. ;)

If I want to tax my crainial power then I think about how to run a Cadillac Northstar with twin turbos controlled by a stock LS1 pcm. If I want to just get in and drive my rig then it is a basic sbc/bbc/ls motor for me:D

You guys may not know this but I'm a Ford guy so didn't like Chevs that much. Now that I've read Willow's good words I can feel my heart hardening more. :( Before this, the most annoying thing about Chev was that you could bolt any bellhousing to any V-8. I'm here to tell you Ford stayed away from that concept, with psychotic determination. It sure taught us to be humble. :D

Haha, that's what I always used to say, anyone can work on a chevy but it takes a real mechanic to work on a Ford. Plus I could never find a chevy that hadn't been hacked on by a gomer or high school kid. Fords were mostly old man trucks (cars) and remained largely unmolested. Every Camero or shortbed chevy I ever bought/sold had a mile of red wire taped up under the dash and a cheap stereo that looked like they installed it with a big rock and a railroad spike. Always had the fan shroud missing and one 4 foot long spark plug wire wrapped around the master cylinder.

That is so true. I've had a lot of Camaro's and I have yet to own one that wasn't worked over one way or another.

... looked like they installed it with a big rock and a railroad spike.

Good one![cl

A simpleton knows no bounds. Case in point: The jeenyus (not a typo) who owned our Mustang previously... among many atrocities, he didn't know clockwise from counter-clockwise or how many quarts to put in a five quart pan.

Oh, and he did some stereo work, too. :D

Latest posts

Back