Considering Building a SCRAT - Looking for Ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kibby

Hi everyone. Here's what I am thinking.

I have some old Scouts, all in various stages of rust and ruin. I'm thinking of making a ratrod out of one. I'm visualizing myself shortening and chopping the cab into a pickup, adding a fabbed-up pickup bed in the back. I want to pinch the original scout nose down to just wide enough to hold the radiator, and add headlights to the sides. I guess I really need to exercise my drawing skills and sketch my ideas. :rolleyes:

So what I need some immediate advice on, is what I should/could use for a front axle? I need to remove the transfer case, and the front dana axle, but wondering what I should do to get a cool straight axle. What sort of old ride should I be looking for to cannibalize the front axle from? We've got some good junkyards around here, with some old stuff.

Any advice?

A rat is what you want it to be

Lots of varyables check some of the build threads you'll get lots of ideas.
good luck your project. Pix when you start are allways welcome. [P

What is the latest model vehicle I can get with a straight front axle? What should I be looking for you think?

A 2 wheel drive postal Jeep might be your best bet. It seems to me the tube size is the same as a drive axle so it might be an almost bolt in.

Blue

The postal Jeep is a good idea as the pick up stuff will be wider than your rear. I've parted some Scout II's and a matched set of D44s I was getting $500.00 from the rock crawler guys.

Don

2wd jeeps and some scouts had a straight axle. I think the mail trucks used them into the 80s. I think I'd find and original Scout half cab (like a little pickup)
I always thought the scout frame looked like good hotrod material.

Latest posts

Back