hidden rat rod expenses

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomech

Mr. Willys
woah just got back from the hardware store that i work at and wow bolts washers nuts and fasteners are really expensive i was looking at a 50 dollar bag of bolts by the time i left the store thats even with my employee discount

what other hidden expenses have you guys ran into and are you guys reusing old fasteners im trying to use mostly new stuff but i may have like 200 bucks just in hardware:confused:

Don't forget that you may have to replace some wireing, fuses, relays, and possibly some exterrior lighting....

Well...You asked...

o yeah my truck is just a frame with a couple axles now all the wires were junk and are already in the trash lol its the hardware that was unexpected:)

One thing I’ve found that I don’t account for, is shipping costs and sales tax, these can add up in a hurry.

Jeff

Cheep hardware

I clean out garages and sheds to make extra money
When I find bolts and nuts I dump them in a 5 gallon bucket
When that is full I dump the bucket in a cement mixer and add sand
After a 1/2 hr I have 5 gallons of clean bolts
My wife asked why I save all the bolts so we whent to Wal-Mart and I showed her 4 bolts in a small package for about $3 and now she save any bolts she comes across
If any body is close to me come over and get some nuts and bolts:cool:

thats a great idea , I have a cement mixer , a bucket of bolts and a wife but no sand , my question is this , one of the 3 items that I already have can be very abrasive , can she , I mean anything be substituted for the sand?

Fittings can add up you if you need alot of them. Such as transmission, fuel, and brake line fittings, especially if you are using AN fittings.

Adds up!

24dodge,
When putting a whole car together there r lots of things to consider & buy. It all adds up but it's cheaper that buying a real car!

BoB

I think that the hidden cost for me is swap meets.... I always find something a little more fitting then what I have. And shipping, man I got my butt kicked on all the E bay parts we got.

Zach

You have hit the nail on the head about the "little unexpected things" that add up. I walked out of the hardware store too the other day, $ 50 spent on bolts. And I do that every several days, it seems. One day was $ 100 and I had a bag like you put a beer into.

Sandpaper, thinner, strainers, plastic buckets, tape, etc are the little things that will kill a hundred dollar bill real fast. I got another quart of paint Friday, some hardner for it, and some epoxy primer, a few buckets and more sandpaper, goodbye $ 200.

Shocking when you add it all up.

Don

Latest posts

Back