Converting Durango Rack & Pinion to center-take-off?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

Has anyone out there converted a rear steer rack & pinion from a 2004 to 2009 Dodge Durango rack to center-take-off?
If so then could you share some pictures and details?
Thanks

The first time I saw the rack n pinion on my truck (03 dodge) I thought about using it. I will be staying tuned to see how it goes.:D

For anyone following this thread here's some more info I found.
The 04-09 Durango is rear steer r&p with 6.9" travel.
The steer column is about 13.5" from the center at an outward angle.
My 37 buick has a frame at tie rods that is 20" inside and 26" outside.
I would have to shift the r&p off-center approx 3 inches towards driver side for the input to be on outside of the frame.
I would be making a bracket that bridges the end take off connections and makes a center take off. Could adjust the position of the tie rod connections on that bracket for equal length tie rods.
1) Does anyone see a problem with this approach?
Thanks
Mutt

Per my previous threads I have a 79 Scout 2 steer box that I bought that should work with a drag link and idlers on a center link and I may end up going that route.
R&P would be my preferred ps method, but I had come up short finding a R&P with 1) rear steer, 2) center-take-off (required because of my long control arms) and 3)side to side throw of about 7 inches.
Recently caught a thread about converting an end take off r&p to a center take off similar to some aftermarket units so thought I should investigate.
The '04-'09 durango is a pretty close match with the issue that the input shaft lands right middle of the frame member. Shifting the r&p left, or right, may work as long as rack a) does not interfere with the tire and b) it is acceptable to have a non-symetric bracket that bridges the end to end of the rack and converts to center take off. The bracket would be designed so tie rods are equal length.
I'm working on verifying a) but would appreciate feedback on whether b) will be a problem.
Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back