Another (assumedly) Overpriced Auction

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's 2 sets of pictures of a Cord but I think it's the same car. I think there's lots of rod fodder there, and I just enjoy looking in any case.

Pretty sure they are 2 different cars. If you look at the picture file name #'s, they correspond to a particular car.

That's not true at all, it can be very inexpensive depending on how you choose to build your car.

Depends on how you calculate your costs. Sure if you have lots of time to scrounge parts or have a bunch of stuff laying around and do the work yourself. But time is money and the parts you had cost something. And what about the cost of all the equipment and tools. Things start to add up pretty fast.

Buddy of mine was talking about wanting to go to this.We went to one of these before and you better bring deep pockets. :(

A friend of mine is going. All he does is ebay parts. He went to one of her auctions here 2 years ago. It was all real early cars, parts and automobilia. I thought he'd never get anything bought right. It was a feeding frenzy, 1500 bidders but he still managed to spend $4000 on lots that netted him over $10000 when the smoke cleared.

The one could quite possibly be a 1940 Graham Hollywood. They used the Cord dies.

http://www.vaultcars.com/wp-content/uploads/Michigan2012-083.jpg

That one you linked seems to be a Cord, by the plate. I found this info on the Graham Hollywood:
Graham agreed to build the Hupmobile Skylark on a contract basis, while receiving the rights to use the distinctive Cord dies to produce a similar car of its own, to be called the Hollywood. The striking Skylark/Hollywood differed from the Cord from the cowl forward with a redesigned hood, front fenders and conventional headlights, achieved by automotive designer John Tjaarda of Lincoln Zephyr fame. The Cord's longer hood was not needed, as the Hupp and Graham versions were rear-wheel drive. This also necessitated modifying the floor to accept a driveshaft.

Regardless of what they are I think they're cool. I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, I just like a mystery :)

EDIT: On the hunt of the mystery I found out that they're both Cord's, a 36 and 37. There are blurbs on some of the cars in the full auction list HERE, and I included the blurbs on those 2 cars below.

You are bidding on a 1936 Cord 810 Westchester
4dr Sedan. FB889 Serial #1673 A. title. The car is
black in color. It has fender skirts. 8 cylinder. This
is a replacement block from Cord. The interior is
complete but rough. There is rust in the body. This
is a rare car and would be good for a project and
save history. This one of Mr. Jordan's favorite cars.
Does not run.
You are bidding on an original 1937 Cord Model
812 Supercharged Beverly 4dr Sedan. FC2302
Serial #31734S. Title. Supercharged 8 cylinder
motor. Numbers matching car, from our
indications. But buying AS IS. The car is complete.
Hide away headlihgts. The interior is complete but
rough condition. There is rust in the rockers. This
was Mr. Jordan's favorite car. The interior was
maroon leather. It appears to have been a black
car. The car will need a total restoration. Rare find.

Last edited:
Good slueth work, thanks. Yes the link I posted was a Cord and the nose did change. Oddly enough, I had a Graham come through my shop in the early 80s. A tourist passing through and it was a bit of a hotrod with a 235 Chevy engine. It was the first I ever knew of them and that one DID have the coffin nose. Maybe it got changed.

Latest posts

Back