Tip to welding up trim holes.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredIronGRB

Traditionalist
You can use a piece of brass (I use a hammer head) to hold over the back side of a trim hole, rust spot, crack, etc...then weld up the other side. Once the weld starts to cool it will pop loose from the brass, I've done holes as large as 1/2" and it works great.

I ground the hammer head slightly concave so the patch will be thick enough to grind down.

A piece of copper pipe hammered flat on one end and screwed to a piece of conduit on the other end works great for the hard to reach places!

Here's a little tip I use, can't remember where I got it, but thanks for the idea. Weld 2 large flat washers to a long set of vise grip style clamps [I used a cheap pair from Princess Auto...Can. HF] Bend a small square of copper over one washer.....Let the pics explain.....

Attachments

• workin away 049.jpg
    workin away 049.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 351
  • workin away 053.jpg
    workin away 053.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 330
  • workin away 051.jpg
    workin away 051.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 345
  • workin away 052.jpg
    workin away 052.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Here's a little tip I use, can't remember where I got it, but thanks for the idea. Weld 2 large flat washers to a long set of vise grip style clamps [I used a cheap pair from Princess Auto...Can. HF] Bend a small square of copper over one washer.....Let the pics explain.....

Really good! Thanks.

i bought several pair if different vise grips for collision work(my day job) that has brass on 1 side for plug welding. they are great tools....

if you don't have copper handy,a chunk of aluminum works very well too..I really like the long vise grip idea..thanks!!

I like to use a piece of filler metal for places that are hard to access from behind. It requires less heat than trying to weld the entire hole shut.

I use a nail with the head just smaller than the hole. Weld around the edge then cut off the shank.

If the hole is too big for a nail head I tack a nail head inside a washer hole. Then weld the washer in the hole and cut off the shank.

I like to use the copper backer for floor pans.

Don

welding trim holes

i use roofing nails on mine. the head is much larger than most trim holes so you just poke it thru from the back , hold it with plyers and tack it in place then cut off the shank. if the hold is bigger then just use 2 nails. less heat =less warpage:)

Latest posts

Back