New Shop Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason my picture didn't turn out but it should be ready to fire up this weekend. Motor is all hooked up; just need to get the exhaust crossover pipe on it before I fire it up and do the cam break in. Pretty uneventful so far; the 4.3 and the V8s are so close that everything just about bolts right back in where its supposed to. As long as my throw-together-from spare-parts engine turns out ok, we'll be good to go.

Got the motor fired up today and did the cam break in; it sounds good other than a leaky water pump and an alternator that's not charging. So I need to fix those things, build an exhaust, do some serious cleanup on the interior, and it should be roadworthy.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
i like vans for the simple reason all my crap is out of the weather.
my wife hates minivans so hard she gets mad when she sees one:D

my wife hates minivans so hard she gets mad when she sees one:D

Sounds like my wife with station wagons...hates em. Even all the new "suv's" or "Cross overs" are just short station wagons in her eyes...[S

I got the exhaust done over the weekend, put it all back together and did a short road trip today. I just did a 3" single exhaust to make it easy and use up my leftover exhaust parts. Not bad; about as much power as you'd expect from a small cube V8. A little more cleanup and it's pretty much done. Easiest V8 swap I ever did.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 40
Awesome!

It needs some 80's Chev 1/2 ton Rallye wheels. My dad had a set on our Astro when I was a kid (painted brown to match the van, with wide beauty rings and the Chevy truck center caps). They fit it really well. Would look great on yours.

I've had two weeks of driving without a glitch; got it cleaned up pretty good and legal. I'm thinking about taking it on the Power Tour this year since it's got A/C.

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 31
That Astros is simply awesome! Especially with the tan/brown dog dish caps combo![cl

sbc in a mini van that is awesome holy smoke! In the dog house and basically stock looking except.. when you fire it up yeehaw!
'freeze

Thanks! I just put a chip adapter in the TBI computer so I can burn a chip for it and do some tuning. I've been driving it quite a bit without any issues except for it running rich and an EGR code. Should be able to fix both of those issues with some programming. I'm about ready to hit it with my buffer and see if I can wake up the oxidized paint a little.

Latest posts

Back