Oklahoma title for rat rod question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transferring a title from another state is legal, using a title/serial from a different vehicle is not.

Correct. Whoever posted the thread I’m talking about had numbers on his car, just no paper for it. He applied for a title in another state, had to send pics I think, and his bill of sale, they titled it even though he didn’t live in that state. When he got that legal title, he had it changed to a title in his state. It was all legal.

Edit: Found it! Second thread in this section, it was jmlcoloroda that did it. Got registered in NH, and then transferred registration to CO and got CO title. So it wasn’t exactly as I thought it was, but it’s something that might work.

Correct. Whoever posted the thread I’m talking about had numbers on his car, just no paper for it. He applied for a title in another state, had to send pics I think, and his bill of sale, they titled it even though he didn’t live in that state. When he got that legal title, he had it changed to a title in his state. It was all legal.

Edit: Found it! Second thread in this section, it was jmlcoloroda that did it. Got registered in NH, and then transferred registration to CO and got CO title. So it wasn’t exactly as I thought it was, but it’s something that might work.

In the past, Texas would let you do that same thing with Louisiana and a couple other states but they've made that and other issues harder! They even went as far as cancelling all kit car, dune buggy and sand rail titles until those guys fought back in court and won!

Rattler

Yep, don't misunderstand what I meant in my post. It is not kosher to do it the way I said "some" have done it. I was just stating that I bet a lot more old cars are running around with bought titles than we will ever know. At any large swap meet, you will see people buying titles from some vendor, and they aren't buying them to frame and hang on the wall.

But, according to strict law, absolutely not legal.

Yep, don't misunderstand what I meant in my post. It is not kosher to do it the way I said "some" have done it. I was just stating that I bet a lot more old cars are running around with bought titles than we will ever know. At any large swap meet, you will see people buying titles from some vendor, and they aren't buying them to frame and hang on the wall.

Go to any swap meet around here and there will be several people selling 'Historical Documents", just sayin'! Personally, I never buy a car without a numbers matching title in the seller's name!

Toad

You're right that it happens a lot more than anyone thinks.

There was a fenderless 1940 or so International Truck hot rod around here about 12-13 years ago. The guy bought it from BC, and whoever built it registered it as a 1953 Chev truck because he had a clean serial number for one that was in the system. The guy that bought it in Alberta had an Alberta plate on it, but it wasn't even registered to the truck. The truck was never legally registered. I almost ended up with the cab at one point but found out about the issues and lost interest quickly. When he sold it, it went back to BC. I think there are a lot more vehicles that we realize that aren't legally in the system.

Latest posts

Back