What's it worth

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Okay Guys I need your help, I was asking around to some local farmers about looking through their scrape piles and one of them tells me has a 1938 REO Speedwagon, (I kinda chuckled to myself and thought that's a band you have REO) Now I'm chuckling at myself cuz that what he has. All the chrome and the REO Speed Wagon plates are behind the seat.
Please excuse the cold white stuff that's falling from the sky

What's it worth?

REO are the initials of Ransom E Olds... founder of Oldsmobile & REO Speedwagon where the band took their name!

BoB

No titles here, WB. Bill of sale with serial#... gov't runs the serial#... if it's good, "Robert's Your Mother's Brother."

Dozer: In our part of the world, it's worth what it weighs. That's the truth, unless you can find "that guy" who has to have an obscure heavy truck. Just saying, it's a hard sell in a limited market and last time I looked outside, this ain't Vegas...

Thanks Guys, yup it's really snowing in April.
That's what I was thinking Doc It's very complete but just a cab and chassis, not sure what I would do with it? The farmer says he'd like to get $500, I'm thinking more like $200.[S

I checked, I'm only 23 hours and 3 minutes from you so I'll come get it [ddd
Too bad it's not the 1/2 ton version.

Dozer, I look at things a little differently, on finding its worth. The price that the junk dealer in Timbucktoo will pay for the truck should not be a factor. What should be a factor; is 'how badly do you want it', 'how badly does the farmer want to sell it', 'how far away is it', 'how good of shape is it in'.
If your main goal is chiseling the farmer down in price, you may just pi$$ him off and lose the whole opportunity to have a really cool hot rod to build.
In your total cost analysis, when you factor in, all of the parts you bought, scrounged, made, or inherited, all of the time [not just $10 an hour but shop time], blood sweat, tears and imagineering, and collecting parts, you will be surprised how close to eighty-thousand dollars you'll be. So, what is the worth of a hundred dollars either way on the purchase price, especially if you lose the opportunity, trying to save 2% of the total cost.

End of rant.

I paid way more than 500 for my "heavy truck" but i had my mind set on a 36 chevy and wasn't finding many of them...we dont have the surplus you guys seem to have up north... then ended up having to get a second cab due to serious issues with the first (dont buy based on photos - lesson learned) .. so all and all my initial truck purchase ended up way pricey $1,800.. oh and another $100 to get matched rims for the back... but I wanted to build it as a big truck..

I'd snap that up in a flash if it was around here! Hey do it up, put a big water tank on the back and that will solve another problem for ya! :)

With respect, fellas.... I think we have our signals crossed.

It's worth more than scrap if you want to own and build it.

It's worth nothing more than scrap if you own it and can't sell it.

Look at BK Vail's build thread. They are doing one about that model with a Cummins. Looks like it's going to be a neat truck when finished.

Attachments

• reo.jpg
    reo.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 20
He Has An Interest..

..In creating a "stash" of these.

Could there be something to this??

Attachments

• reopartial.GIF
    reopartial.GIF
    67.2 KB · Views: 33
I paid the $500. This truck is just too cool. It took 4low on my pickup to pull it out of it's 20 year resting spot. Bolted a tow bar on and towed it home 9 miles on back roads with three flat tires. It is cab and chassis and is 95% complete.
I just got the cab all cleaned out and will do a walk around video to post.

I paid the $500. This truck is just too cool. It took 4low on my pickup to pull it out of it's 20 year resting spot. Bolted a tow bar on and towed it home 9 miles on back roads with three flat tires. It is cab and chassis and is 95% complete.
I just got the cab all cleaned out and will do a walk around video to post.

I would have paid that in a heartbeat, very cool truck! Congrats!

Toad

Latest posts

Back