How I scratch built my pickup bed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasnt going to run a bed on mine but after seeing this thread on how you built your bed I am seriously thinking about building a bed for mine but just on a smaller scale being my rear frames are least than 3' long. Looking forward to seeing how you will build the tailgate also.
Thanks for the ideas.

Larry

Been a while since I posted here. I forgot about this post.
Here are some pics from the plug welding of the stake pockets. I spaced them about 1 1/2" from each other. Over kill but what the heck. I think the hole sizes were 3/8".
redcabbed015.jpg

redcabbed013.jpg

Here is a shot of the front bed panel. It started life as a 18ga sheet of cold rolled steel. It was stepped (beed rolled) to match the sides. I put a 9 degree bend in the bottom for ridgidity. The top got a 1" piece of square tubing welded on and the welds smoothed like the top rails.
I drilled holes for the plug welds as well 1 1/2" apart and 3/8" holes.
grillsteerfinbed004.jpg

grillsteerfinbed013.jpg

here is a shot of the rear pan. It's a cruddy shot but you get the idea. It was another cold rolled 18ga piece, bent on all four ends into 90degree angles to form a pan. It was also plug welded.
grillsteerfinbed015.jpg

Nice work , I wish I had the equiptment and metal working skill you do [cl
It's not that hard. I read alot and bought some basic stuff like a small mig, shears etc.
For the beed roller and pan brake type stuff you can take to a local hot rod shop and have them do it if you dont have the funds yet. The bed is straight bends and tubing if ya think about it. you can do it!
It beats spending 2 grand on a manufactured bed too.:D

Thats a nice bed, nice design and craftsmanship! You going to post some pics with it on the truck?

I almost replaced my stake pockets too. They are a lot cheaper than I thought they would be. Nice work on the bed bro. I'm getting inspired to start making some of my own metal working tools.

Excellent job on your bed it turned out great. I'm glad to see some of my advice was helpful to you as well. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. [cl

What year are those stake pockets from? I did a search on Mac's a didn't find anything. I was gonna build my own but if there not that much i'll save some time! Bed is lookin really slick you get anywhere on the tailgate yet?

What year are those stake pockets from? I did a search on Mac's a didn't find anything. I was gonna build my own but if there not that much i'll save some time! Bed is lookin really slick you get anywhere on the tailgate yet?

Didn't get anywhere with the gate yet. I sat in front of it last night scratching my head trying to figure out how to make it work. It needs to be sectioned about 10" and narrowed about 10". The head scratcher part is where to cut it so the raised panels look proportioned. I went with a 53 gate because it resembles the back panel of my cab. I over think sometimes. haha
I'll figure it out but I kind of laughed at myself looking at it sitting on the creeper.

The stakes are for a 33/34 Ford 1/2 ton. They are from MACS. I might not have mentioned this but I modified the stake tops. They didn't fit flush at the 45 degree angle. So I lopped off the tops and welded a flat plate at a 45 degree angle. I called MACS and the gal said that when I rivet them on they will pull in and lay flat. She said they are all like that because they do the stamping in house. I said I was welding them on and she said that is not the correct way to install them. I laughed and said "thanks but it's a custom truck, they should be a 45 degree angle regardless, and I am not riveting it like the original and hung up". Long story short if you buy them you might have to modify them if you are picky on your build.
I will see if I can find the receipt/paperwork with the model numbers

Latest posts

Back