the cart before the horse?? My build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John T. Hodgen

Hey all,
Here is a link to my build http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/panheadjohn60/?start=0 I'm sure alot of you have seen "RV CRAZY" on the travel channel. I've seen Teardrops campers before that, but if they can build one so can I!! The pictures of the Turkey Day Run shows some that were there. My link shows my build pics, me and the little woman, my 2000 Kawasaki Nomad and our camping trips in Wv. where we live. It took me 4 months and about $1900.00 total for evrything--including accessories. In the near future I want to build a rod to pull it with. I have the fabicating skills and mechanical ability, built from scratch and maybe a woody delivery to match my camper. A good site to go for info and building t/d's is www.mikenchell.com/forum a builder's site. I will be building more campers in the future for sale. Spent 9 hrs at a rod=run showing mine off and answering questions. What do you guys think, it will save money on motel rooms-lol. John T.

Last edited:
I've seen several of those at different camp grounds , the owners never get any peace because so many people had to stop and talk about it ! cool camper !!

Hey All',
Thanks for the comments and viewing my build. Yep, its hard to get out of a gas station without having to open up the camper and giving the 15cent tour.:)I had a Wv. State tropper follow me into Hardee's just to check it out, seems that he was a Boy Scout master and was tired of sleeping in a tent on the ground and wanting to build one himself. But--He scared the Devil out of me!![ddev--John T.

mobile motel

just checked out your build on the teardrop, We are plannin on same project this spring. Thinkin on putting the galley inside , dont want momma makin coffee in the rain on a wet morning. We lived in trapline cabins most our lives so waking up an havin coffee in bed ,then breakfast, then gettin outa bed an dressed is the norm? for us. they say size matters???

Im an r.v. tech by trade and wonder why people want the big monster trailers. I have been buying old tin can trailers when I can to restore in the next few years. My personal trailer is a 74 Scotty goucho I got free for the asking.

Attachments

• DSCN0234.jpg
    DSCN0234.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 42
Hey Wrinkles,
Check out www.mikenchell.com/forum its a builder's site for teardrops. Many people have a pass-thru to the galley out back so the coffee can be gotten to or your other choice of beverage. Many free plans too for ttt's (tiny travel trailers) John T.

Here's a picture of my teardrop trailer. I built it in 2001. We have used it a lot since it was finished. I would guess I have about 50,000 miles on it now. I built it five feet wide and love the extra space. It's patterned after a 1947 Modernistic.

821413876_54a6cf84ea.jpg

Keith

Like it. Great cabinetry and joinery talent there. Been thinking about small camp trailers (tent trailers) but like this way more.

48 fire truck roadster

Hey Keith and Truckster,
Keith you did a great job on your t/d. Are you on t&ttt or the Tearjerker's site? I had a '65 Malibu SS back in 1981.
Truckster, I love your build and following it. I wish that this forum would notify you by email when someone posts on your threads so that you could come back to it without having to search for it. I found a thread of someone narrowing a 1960 ElCamino and styling it after a 60's era showcar via Roth, Barris, etc. Takes more nerve than I have to do that but yours is looking great. John T.

Latest posts

Back