Binary Ignition Switch?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno. What happens when it quits running in the middle of an intersection and you need to crank it right fast but forget which switch the starter is on? [S Or accidentally hit the switches going down the road, it dies, and you have to reset a bunch of switches? [S

I think I'd just put in a hidden switch to kill the coil and or the fuel pump.

I feel ya, but after awhile, it would become second nature. In my example above, only 5 of the 16 switches would be in the "up/on position". I think you'd get used to just glancing at it and knowing which one is not in the right spot.

So if one gets out of sync

you don't have to reset them all?? guess I misunderstood the concept....you're probably at a point you wished you never mentioned it at all....LOL....;)

you don't have to reset them all?? guess I misunderstood the concept....you're probably at a point you wished you never mentioned it at all....LOL....;)

Not at all. I enjoy random pointless conversations about things that really don't need to be discussed :D
Guess this could have been posted in the BS forum now that you mention it.

The only ones that REALLY do all the work is the switches in the 'on' position. Hot wire simply goes from one hot pole, to the next.

Wait a second, wouldn't that mean you just have to flip them all up to complete the circuit? [S
That would completely defeat the point.

Unless you wire all the switches, then flip over the ones supposed to be in the 'off' position to complete the circuit. But leave the on/off labels in the original position.
Then each switch has a wire that goes to the next all the way across the board.

........then you have to steer the wheel left, then right, then left again stopping at full lock (it's got a switch here too), then get out of the car, remove the gas cap and place it on a specific part of the roof (magnet switch), then follow the proper sequence of shifting the gears (1st, reverse, 3rd, 2nd, neutral), and only THEN will the stars align to provide power to the fuse panel :D

You're killing me.....lol

I just got done reading a post that had me laughing so hard and I don't even know why.....now this.....thank God it's not busy here right now....wow....and I'm far away enough from dispatch that they can't hear me cackling ...... :D[cl Think I'm losing it....

Wait a second, wouldn't that mean you just have to flip them all up to complete the circuit? [S
That would completely defeat the point.

You could use a SPDT switch with two "ons" and really confuse them.LOL

SPDT-3P-Toggle-Switch.jpg

How about a row of rotary switches? :rolleyes:

My 87 F150 kinda had a anti-theft system.
To start:
1. Depress clutch pedal
2. Press gas pedal twice
3. Pull choke completely
4. Push starting rod fully
5. Floor it once
6. Kick fender
7. Push in choke
8. Drive

Had a clutch safety switch, a very leaky carb, a broken ignition, and a sticky solenoid. :D

OK so ummmmm............. correct me if I am wrong but............. unless you use some sort of controller to watch for a code........ what stops some one from just turning on all the switches and starting and driving away???? A switch to a relay feeding another switch would just be like running a wire from one switch to another switch and so on and so forth. Soooo that being said all you would have to do is turn on all the switches no matter what code is that you set up. [S

If you were to use an adruino, or PIC, or Basic Stamp micro-controller you could write a program to have it watch for the code to come on in the right order, left to right or right to left or whatever. Once it sees the code in the right order it will energize the relay to activate the start button. Otherwise if the wrong switch is flipped it will just lock out the start button and force you to start over until the right code is entered. ;)

Lot of work but could be a lot of fun if you are good with electronics. Might be neat to put in an old phone number pad and dial a number to start your rig. :D

OK so ummmmm............. correct me if I am wrong but............. unless you use some sort of controller to watch for a code........ what stops some one from just turning on all the switches and starting and driving away???? :D

With a SPDT switch you cant just turn it "on" because it has two and one will be "wrong".So each switch will have two posibilities x's how ever many switches.

If you used a SPST switch and just flipped over the "off" ones so that even they are "on", then it would not be possible to do the turn all on trick. However, you can still just put a jumper from the input wire to the output wire and bypass the whole thing. Not exactly more secure than a key.

Latest posts

Back