Just picked this one up.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and tuning was an issue with the polara. I'm sure it will come back to life a bit. Considering that it was running at 40-60 degrees out on timing.

Am I interested in it? Are you kidding me? I'm interested in taking a cruise with you and the 7-8 good looking ladies all piled in!!![ddd I'll even chip in for gas!

Ahahahahaha. Yup, unfortunately I don't think it could pull myself much less 8 ladies right now. haha. Sam, timing was jumping all around due to the chain slack. Unfortunately when we started it up today, the noise was still present. 3 plugs have bent prongs and one left behind some some ceramic that I imagine has bounced around in the chamber. I don't think the pieces would still be around though. Took intake off and didn't see anything wrong with cam, lifters, or rockers. Everything in good shape. It is a relief actually being able to see the cam without too much work. When cranking over by hand, I thought I heard a single noise similar to the running noise. Almost sounds like a bolt bouncing around. I think plan for tomorrow is to pull the pan and then possibly the heads. If the weather holds up. I am getting ready to price some engines and be prepared for the worst. Trying to be remain in good spirits. haha.

So you think the pistons hit the plugs or someone was sloppy installing them?That motor would have to have a serious set of pistons if it needed the plugs indexed or someone cut the deck and or heads either way we would be talkin 12:1ish & you'd need race gas. I guess there is also the possibility of an improper extended tip plug. I can't imagine the chain being so worn that that caused it. Keep us posted.

Yeah, we are kind of stumped. All the plugs are same length. We put the new plugs in and cranked it and pulled them to check. Nothing noticeable other than a tad bit quieter noise. It almost sounds like something is bouncing around in there. One of our buddies owns a rotating assembly building shop and said that there is almost no way the piston would have hit the plug, but is very possibly to have a bent valve which might have tore up the plug. We will see. Like I said, as soon as I get time, the pan and heads will be coming off to do a bit more checking.

3 things;

1. If it's running now, can you snoop around with a looong screwdriver, handle to you ear and isolate the problem? if you put it on the pump and here ANY kind of banging it's toast. But I doubt you will.

2. The timing thing is bothering me, you say 40 -60 degrees out on timing, what exactly do you mean? Not sure what dist your using but for now how about disconnecting the vacuum advance and total timing your engine to 38 degrees. It will require using an adjustable timing light or marking your balancer. I know people say every engine is different, but every stock headed big block Chrysler I've ever worked on ran great at 38 period. Your initial should be around 15 if it's not you may have to lengthen/shorten the slots on the advance plate in the dist. Worry about vacuum advance later (but do reconnect as it's required on a "real" street car).

3. Maybe you allready checked this but, I've seen engines where the rocker shafts weren't assembled correctly and the rockers were moving around too much on the shafts. Make sure the spacers are in the right positions and the rocker tips are centered over the valves.

My guess is the rotating assembly is hitting the pan.

We have a scope to use for listening for noises. It seemed to be a front end noise that we were getting but couldn't pin point it. I will have to try right at the pump next time. The timing has been fooled with and I can't remember right off hand what we have it set at now. The 40-60 issue was with the old timing chain. It was jumping in and out of time. I will double check rockers, but as I remembered it, they all appeared to be fine. No slop, and located in the proper position. I will most likely be getting it back together tomorrow and put some oil in it to see what its doing.

Thanks. would be much better if it ran for more than the firs week of owning it. lol.

towb3, is there any chance the intermediate shaft bushing took a crap? that's right up front. If you pull the distributor out and take a big screwdriver and turn the intermediate shaft counter clockwise it should pop right out. Previous owner may have installed it wrong or neglected to replace it.

Thanks 440. I will take a look at that wednesday before I put the top end back on. What would be the proper procedure for putting that back in? Dropping in and rotating clockwise I guess? Just taking a stab. I wouldn't have looked at that either. Thanks.

The bushing is tough to get out without knocking it out from the oil pump side. Sometimes they pop right out easy, but they aren't supposed to cause they are supposed to remain stationary while the shaft spins within. A slider hammer with a hook will get it out.

Treat it like removing the distributor. note the location of dis. housing and rotor. Pull the dis. It has a flat blade that engages the 'shaft. Note where it's pointing, so when you twist it out, you twist it back into the same spot when you put it back together. You may need to make a tool if you have to replace the intermediate shaft bushing. I have a "driver" I had a friend make for me. Has the slightly smaller od as the id of the bushing and a generous shoulder to drive the bushing in. A little anti-sieze or other suitable lubricant helps drive her home. Be careful as it is kinda fragile. Lube the inside and top of the bushing and put it back together.

I suppose if you really suspect the oil pump you could take this opportunity to insert a oil pump primer shaft while the intermediate shaft is out, and spin the oil pump with a drill w/ a 1/2" chuck in reverse and see how she sounds all by herself.

Let me know how it goes. I gotta go.

Thanks 440. I will give it a check and see what I can see. It will probably sound a lil better once I get a good look at it tomorrow.

My buddy started to finish putting the engine together while I was on vacation. He said he ran the **** out of it trying to blow it up. lol. Was still making the noise and it seemed to work its way towards the back of the engine instead of the front. I finally got to it today gave it a crank, and it gave the knocking noise about a time or two from cold start and then not another bit of noise. Tossed the 20w50 and lucas in it and that is pretty much all other than inspecting everything. lol. Sometimes I wonder about these things. Maybe the lifters weren't holding a prime with that thin oil?

Got it up and running today after finishing up some gaskets and accessory assembly. Purred other than what may be a slight crack on intake where the carb mounts. Makes a nice whistle. Could possibly pass for boosted engine. lol. Fixing that and then I think I have a trade offer for the car. May be taking it. Dunno just yet. Waiting to see what kind of shape the other vehicle is. I also got a line on an engine from a buddy to be used in my '38. He builds monster sprint car engines and has father was the crew chief for Bobby Allison and few other big names. It is pretty interesting to see what these guys run into. So..... not too bad of a day. Other than work junk coming up on my off day. lol

Latest posts

Back