1949 Ford F6 stakebody...rat?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the 49,

I have a 48 f-6 myself and I am doing somthing very similar,

I also have the same 2 speed rear end and I was wondering if you are keeping the same rear end or not. These 2 speed rear ends have extremly low gear ratios somthing like 585:1/525:1
On mine I can do maybe 45mph at 3500rpm (I am running a 292 Y Block with 4 speed trans.)

I am also try to build this for cheap and thought of a overdrive transmission but by the time I get a bell housing and new trannie I am getting into more than I want to spend,

I see you have removed the gears in the rear end so I assume you have somthing in mind.

Just wondering what you have came up with...

Gary

1-ton

This is my one ton that is going under the knife next..

Attachments

• DVC00032.JPG
    DVC00032.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 141
  • DVC00027.JPG
    DVC00027.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DVC00029.JPG
    DVC00029.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DVC00038.JPG
    DVC00038.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 81
gary - im using all the factory running gear the reason i removed the gears is to move it around a ton lighter

I have an opinion on steering boxes. Personally I would use a 70s Ford 2wd box. They are stout enough, easy to mount and you just swing the pitman arm 90 degrees for the solid axle or 4x4 application.

I'm working on a '49 F5 as we speak. My son and I cut the frame yesterday as I was going to "Z" the rear and shorten it. I didn't like the way it looked with the rear kicked up so high. I'm thinking about making up a new rear suspension, but may look at flopping the springs & notching the frame instead. I think I'm going to move the front axle forward & make up a "suicide" front axle set up.

As I found it:
6-15-08C.jpg

After pulling some stuff off of it:
6-28-08A.jpg

The way it sits at the moment:
7-2-08A.jpg

I'm going to pull the flat head and put in a 402 BBC I've had for a while.

Nothing like big iron!

sorry took so long comp has been down which is ok cause ive been in the garage alot

so i body dropped the cab on sat

BEWARE IM UGLY:

me next to a stock f6

stockf6.jpg

me next to stock cab on 9 1/2" dropped frame

meandf6.jpg

me next to 6" body dropped cab on 9 1/2" dropped frame

bodydroppedcabcomp.jpg

comparison :
my 49 with a 15 1/2" drop and a 94 s10 "new a-body"with a 4/5 drop

49s10.jpg

49s102.jpg

side view:
16" total drop at the roof...6" body drop/channel & 10" drop in frame

bodydroppedcab.jpg

center section of the floor is braced and filled ... i might add 2 floor supports to the frame
pics to follow... tomorrow???

I'm trying to figure out what to do about the grille
I mocked it up and i think it is too wide with the stock lights because they flow with the fenders so much... which i repeat will not be used

so im thinking of using the center section with just the bars
and some old trucks headlights like these:

143794710_02b25ca227.jpg

IMG_1933-autocar.jpg

Latest posts

Back