1946 Ford Truck over S10 Frame.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really digging this build thread. Hopefully I'll be doing the same-more or less with my 37 GMC real soon. You are doing a great job and the details you are giving are very helpful. Keep it up!!!!

Thanks guys for the kind words! I have decided I am not going to channel the cab after all because of the height of the engine sitting in there. With the hood on, I only have about 2" of clearance down to the cover, and if I drop the cab I would have to take that height out of the hood also. It could be done and would look trick, but I would have to go to a car intake setup which is $400 and I don't want to spend the extra money. I mocked up the running boards yesterday and will end up dropping the suspension probably 2" total at the end to get me to a finished 5". I will finish the entire build and than decide how much to drop it. The beauty of the S10 aftermarket parts.....Cheap and plentiful!

Aaron

Thanks for the tip nhmikel-I will diffently double check out that issue. I would not want to split the front!

Yes, the 37 is probably too narrow. My '46 GMC just barely fit on the S-10 frame. Instead of modifying the frame, I had to notch the inside of the front fenders slightly so that the running boards would fit properly and the cab would sit on the frame properly.

This information is very useful indeed. I am collecting to do a similar build. I have an old dodge to move over to an s10 chassis. I am thinking short bed frame tho. Cool to know the frame can be shortened as well

An S-10 shortbed is much too short, unless you plan on shortening the box. It's a 110" wheelbase. My brother has a 39 dodge truck on a regular cab longbed S-10 frame. It fit well, but the biggest issue was bolting the front clip to the cab before mounting it to the S-10 frame, to get everything lined up right.

Didn't get much done today, but I got the front bumper fabbed up and the hood hinges all working so it actually opens and closes now. I will still need to figure out a latch setup for it. I also got new headlights and parking light lens covers coming.

IMG40_zpse8878144.jpg

IMG43_zpsc8b55885.jpg

Started some interior sheet metal work yesterday. Drivers side is done and I will probably finish the passengers side today. Lot's of fun welding to that old rust! I am trying to make the transmission tunnel as small as possible to allow for the max amount of leg room. I had originally pulled out the gas tank surround thinking I would use two bucket seats on each side of the tunnel, but I have since decided I want the look of a bench seat. Have you tried finding a 46" wide bench seat lately? Anyways, I put the tank surround back in and will build a seat on top of it. I want to sit low, so my eyes are just over the door. I also located the steering column through the new firewall at the angle I want from the seat. I am in the process of trying to locate a new smaller "rat rod" style steering wheel and will finish the dash mount on it soon. I wanted to retain the old column that was in it, but that wheel is the size of Texas! I am offset about 2" from the S10 steering post off the box, so will have to u-joint it over.

IMG153_zps91ad65e3.jpg

Got the passenger side done and the tunnel mocked up. I went with 16 gauge on the floor, but will need to get some 18 probably for the tunnel. 16 is pretty tough to work with. Closed for New Years tomorrow, so I may take the day off and watch some football. Happy New Year to everyone too!

IMG170_zps80ca4f52.jpg

Man, but this is one sweet looking truck so far!:cool:[;)

R.E. your seat.... I've read that a lot of fellows with skinny old trucks are using "centre row" bench seats from Dodge Caravans, etc. Apparently the skinny "two seat" bench (second row, right behind driver and passenger seats) is a pretty good fit! :)

Happy New Year![cl

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks Shea, and Happy New Year to you. I had read that somewhere too and thought about it, but I didn't want it "modern" looking. I found a 40's truck bench seat tonight on Craigslist tonight for $50. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope he calls me back tomorrow! Thanks!

Aaron

Figures right after I reinstalled the tank surround I got the '40's truck seat for $50 local here............ It's the perfect Ratrod seat! Guess it's coming back out.

40sseat_zps4e750cd9.jpg

Stripped the body back off for some frame work and to tie up some loose ends on brake lines, fuel lines, driveshaft, etc. I was able to reuse S10 body mounts for the new rear cab mounts. Worked out really well so that it is rubber mounted. I also started on the frame beef-up on that right hand side. I will incorporate the transmission crossmember into this fab step. On the second picture below, you can see the little "locator" tab I will use to weld a nut inside the frame. This will then get removed. This will be the front right corner cab mount and I will have a rubber mount between it and the cab also.

IMG184_zpsb94e8130.jpg

IMG190_zpsbad6540a.jpg

IMG191_zps118504c8.jpg

I only had time for a couple hours on it today, but got the tranny crossmember done. I had to incorporate the passenger side into widening the frame. I removed the original crossmember that housed the stock S10 carrier bearing, and just cut it shorter and moved it forward a couple feet. It worked out perfect as far as height goes. I was able to use the shelf in the frame on the drivers side to set it on just like the stock one, except I had to move it back slightly to accommodate the LS and the new motor mounts. No big deal, the original rear hole for the stock one is now the front hole for the new one. So it went back a total of about 4" or so. On the passenger side, I welded on a 1/4" steel plate and bolted that through the frame below the crossmember for easy removal. The nuts are blind nuts welded on the inside of the new frame plate. Now I will go ahead and box the upper and lower part of the new frame beef and incorporate the cab mount into the top one where that "locator" plate is sticking up. The engine ended up being at a 3.8* rear downward angle. I was shooting for 4* so it is pretty close.

IMG197_zps66441324.jpg

IMG207_zps2903c103.jpg

IMG209_zps4f3497ca.jpg

IMG214_zpsd0209615.jpg

Last edited:
Skull, just read your build thread on the dodge truck tribute to your son. I appreciate you finishing it for him. Very cool thing to do in his honor. Really sorry this happened to your family. It caught my eye that June 25th is his birthday. That's my birthday also. Thanks for the thread and the read!

Aaron

Got the frame beef done tonight. Primed and drying overnight. Also started on the new LS high pressure fuel system.

IMG217_zpsb6a17733.jpg

IMG219_zps8f1f9e46.jpg

Been just tying up loose ends. Got fuel system done, rear calipers and brake lines finished, driveline finished. I just set the cab back on tonight, hopefully for the final time. I did realize setting the cab back on that the transmission tunnel is going to have to run clear to the back of the cab because of driveshaft clearance. No big deal though as the seat will cover the rear portion. You are looking at over $200 just to upgrade the fuel system to be able to handle the LS motor. Come to find out, the seat I found above was to long. I had to pass on it. Still looking.................

IMG246_zps21f12d03.jpg

IMG250_zps7c28a103.jpg

Latest posts

Back