1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Crank. That is just the answer I was looking for. I would have never guessed that the spindle boss is what the major difference is. I'll have to measure them tomorrow so I can determine if I have the right spindles/axle to do the conversion. If not, I guess I will be on the hunt for the right ones.

Woohoo!!! The one on the car is the "heavy duty" normal axle and the extra one, well, I don't know cause its actually 2.6815" measured the way you posted crank. Anyhow, now I at least know I can order a brake kit. It'll wait until next pay day but knowing what I have will work makes me very much excited.

Ordered up a disc brake kit from ECI. Customer service seams to be top notch and once I get it here and installed, I'll let ya know what i think. Onto other news, I've started building some different stuff for the front end. Because no one locally sells true heim joints, I'm going to be using tractor parts and natural gas pipe to make my front ladder bars and drag links. Hopefully, the foremen at the shop get their heads out of their a$$es and will let me use the pipe benders and welders again. I leave for KC, KS on Sunday so nothing will get done over the next 2 weeks. But when I get back, it'll be balls to the walls full out rat days.

Ordered up a disc brake kit from ECI. Customer service seams to be top notch and once I get it here and installed, I'll let ya know what i think. Onto other news, I've started building some different stuff for the front end. Because no one locally sells true heim joints, I'm going to be using tractor parts and natural gas pipe to make my front ladder bars and drag links. Hopefully, the foremen at the shop get their heads out of their a$$es and will let me use the pipe benders and welders again. I leave for KC, KS on Sunday so nothing will get done over the next 2 weeks. But when I get back, it'll be balls to the walls full out rat days.

I would suggest speedway for the parts you are looking for. Gas pipe is not structural tubing, and I'm not sure what you would be getting into with tractor parts... Safety first! :)

I understand that safety comes first. I'm gonna have to look and see what the wall thickness is but it is rather thick. I mean hell, I know it is thicker than the lower control arms on dodge diesels and it's not going to be just the 2 pipes per side, there will be 2 strengthening brackets in between the heim and axle. Rat rods aren't sposed to be what you buy, they're sposed to be what you can build. I know it sounds sketchy to you but I assure you that it will be a very safe ride. There's a reason I am tackling the brakes, steering, and suspension first. You can go all day long but if you can't control it and can't stop it, it's nothing more than a pile of metal.

Brakes don't do any good if the tubing holding the suspension comes apart. Your talking less than 100 dollars for tubing that's made to used for applications like yours.

Okay, lemme rephrase what I mean by "tractor parts." They are oversized heim used to raise and lower implements. They have a 15/16s thread and use a 3/4 bolt. I'm not making anything that's going to hold weight. It's just controlling horizontal, not vertical movement. Even if it were to control vertical movement, I know that the pipe will hold at least 500# a piece. Now multiply that by 4 and you can hold up to 200# vertically as long as the weight is evenly distributed. I may sound like an idiot doing it this way but I ensure you, if it does not work, and I see that it does not work, I will change things. Either way, when I am finished, you will understand just what I am talking about and exactly what I am doing.

Started pulling the front end of the pickup apart in preparation of pulling the engine. Lots of broken and stuck bolts so out came the cutoff wheel. I still need the truck to move around under its own power so I left all of the important bits. I will have to take some pictures when I get around to it. Still trying to figure out what will be the best way to pull the engine. Remove the cab or leave it all in tact aside from what I have already pulled off. If the weather gets better I'll pull the truck outside and remove the fenders. Barely enough room in the old garage to open the doors.

Picked up the transmission for the 33 today. 4 speed borg-warner from a 74 f-150 2wd. Parts are accumulating pretty quickly. Soon enough I'll be in the shop putting it together.

IMG_20130809_183354_274_zps176bcf1f.jpg

Last edited:
In Love--

I didn't walk right past them all. This guy normally doesn't sell anything as he's a bit of a collector/hoarder/builder. I knew what I was looking for and because of that I'm sure he trusted me more than most others. A lot of people stop buy but he never sells. I just got incredibly lucky is all. Anyhow, hoping that I can go back tomorrow and pick it up. There are lots of places like this out here. You just gotta keep your eyes open.

WOW, I wanna move to Montana! I'm in love with all those treasures![dr

That 2 door wagon would make a nice ride... Lots of good projects there

Latest posts

Back