`54/`90 shop truck / bike hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to get this thing out of the shop... long overdue. Got the bed finished for now. Floor will temporary as they want to convert it for a fifth wheel trailer in the future. I will make a new lid soon with the company logo instead of chevrolet.
The front of the bed is shaped to meet the curve of the cab. Hope to get it back on the frame tomorrow and see how it looks...

Attachments

• IMGP0911.jpg
    IMGP0911.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP0901.jpg
    IMGP0901.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMGP0903.jpg
    IMGP0903.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 57
bea-ee-yoo-teeful, needed that extra syllable

sooo... finally got some work done on this project. First time I build a fender this big ... now the other side in half the hrs :)

now imagine how fast you could build me a couple, might even reverse the rotation of the earth it will go so fast :D

Nice job!!!!
On the bed rails, did you use tubing on the edge or did you roll it. If you rolled it how did you go about doing it?

Nice job!!!!
On the bed rails, did you use tubing on the edge or did you roll it. If you rolled it how did you go about doing it?

I used a break. a big one :D
I welded a flat bar to a tube and clamped it on top of the sheetmetal in the break. Then drop the lower part (which actually bends the metal) Far enough to clear the diameter of the tube and bend it. Needed to adjust the lower part a few times to keep it from locking up and crushing the sheetmetal. I used 16gauge.

For the front side of the bed I decided to follow the radius of the cab, because the bed is a lot wider than the factory bed. Building a straight front would result in a huge gap on the cab corners.

thanks for checking in :)

building a wide bed for a 3100 comes with a few challenges [S ... anyway...goal is to create something that meets the customer`s wishes and make it look good too. I started work on the running boards and came up with this shape. Building a straight board would make it look like a turkey on a dish at this width. The filler panel will be the next design challenge since it sticks out as much as the cab. I think it will need to be curved up front to meet the shape of the cab corner. Bent this mock up just to see where I`m at.
The outer edge of the board is pretty high but I think it looks fine combined with all other oversized parts on the truck, and this also gave me the opportunity to run the exhaust pipes through the panel, on both sides. I wheeled up the panel before bending the upper and lower edge so it has a curved surface.

I was going to fill the running boards with wood as the bed floor will be wood too, but now I have my doubts. I`m leaning towards steel ...?? any thoughts?
I think the narrow part will look kinda goofy in wood?

Another question; I never did any bodywork on a truck like this and since this was an incomplete rotten pos when I started, I have no clue if , or how the running boards were bolted to the fenders? Is it a wise thing to do? or will body flex wreck things? Use rubber mounts between fender and board?

I`m not worried about the boards being strong enough, the brackets will be plenty strong, but it may help the fenders getting more stable...
thanks for thinking along

Attachments

• IMGP1382.jpg
    IMGP1382.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP1381.jpg
    IMGP1381.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMGP1380.jpg
    IMGP1380.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMGP1378.jpg
    IMGP1378.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMGP1357.jpg
    IMGP1357.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 59
Anyone know how to get into the first posts on the thread? I dont see an "edit" button... I`d like to replace some of the gone pics [S

The shape of the running board is great [cl
I bolted the running boards to the front and rear fenders on the last 4 trucks I've done and have had no issues with them.
You'll have to contact admin to do editing on older posts.

looks amazing! is the scoop in the board to allow you to stand up closer to the bed? because I just stand on the board.

Another question; I never did any bodywork on a truck like this and since this was an incomplete rotten pos when I started, I have no clue if , or how the running boards were bolted to the fenders? Is it a wise thing to do? or will body flex wreck things? Use rubber mounts between fender and board?

the boards do bolt to the running boards, the original has 3 bolts in an "L", two low one higher. the apron bolts too, just one bolt at the back. I can try and get a picture for you today. like you suspect its not for board strength but to keep the fenders from wagging around.

Like Joedoh and Oi said. The boards are bolted to the fenders. That's why the majority of them are rusted out in that area.:eek: [ddd
This truck is looking great. If I did wood on the boards at all it would only be in the wide area.
JMHO...
[P [P [P
Torchie

looks amazing! is the scoop in the board to allow you to stand up closer to the bed? because I just stand on the board.

the boards do bolt to the running boards, the original has 3 bolts in an "L", two low one higher. the apron bolts too, just one bolt at the back. I can try and get a picture for you today. like you suspect its not for board strength but to keep the fenders from wagging around.

Thanks Joe, I`d like to see some pics. The scoop is where the exhausts will exit.

Torchie, wood on the wide part crossed my mind too, I think I`ll just have to do some mock-ups and decide whatever looks best.

Thanks all for the comments!

You'll have to contact admin to do editing on older posts.

ok, wont bother then... No photobucket for me no more ,so these should be here to stay... here`s how it started;:D

ow, thatsa tiny file, I`ll try and dig up something better....

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back