Custom Tail Lights

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M5StudeGuy

I've done a couple searches and didn't find anything here. so if I missed something, feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'm working on a 46 pickup.
I'm putting a rear mounted gas tank in the back under the bed.

Long story short, I had wanted to use rear tail light from the bone yard out of something like a new Mustang or Camero.
I got to measuring and from a cross member under the rear of the beck, back to the outermost roll pan is only about 4 inches.
I am guessing That's going to be an issue with putting much of ANY type of taillights...
I'm wanting to have the lights recess mounted, not sticking out on the outside.

What kind of advice or suggestions can you throw at me.

Custom lights

Go to your local truck stop and ask to look through there books! They have tons of stuff you would never imagine... Likely in stock or just a few days out. Led's, flame cut, tinny, clear. Anything all for cheap compared to the hotrod shop!

Kurt

As said above truck stop are cool place to find shallow lights, I've built plenty of light out of junk parts & L.E.Ds..post shots of your truck's rear and see other can think of.My sick mind is already think of what to use........ LOL!!!!!!

lights

Hi. While I was reading you question, I was thinking big truck and trailer lights. Then when I got down to the other guys answers I found out they were of like mind. There are lots of different shapes but the one I had in mind was about 5" by 2 1/2", rounded corners, pigtail plugin at the back and they're sealed beam lights. If you also buy the full back rubber grommets for them you can keep them dry and clean in the back. I'm a trucker and have had to do with a lot of water and salt spray all winter, so I might be advising overkill, but the sealed beams last a way, way longer. There's a '47 Ford PU in my future, too. Keep on tinkering.

Latest posts

Back