just a thought

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, I don't think it's possible. Wrong alloy. Lead solder for body work is 30% tin and 70% lead. Tin is necessary to make the lead thick and workable over a broader temperature range. Without tin, lead runs like water.

Wheel weights are nearly 100% lead. You could melt them down and make bullets. :D

Lead wheel weights will not work at all. The Dr. is correct!

I do quite a bit of leadwork and getting good body solder is key.

Stay away from the lead free stuff, I personally do not like it although I have used it.

Lead body solder is much easier to work with, you don't heat it as much, easier to file, etc.

Lead wheel weights will not work at all. The Dr. is correct!

I do quite a bit of leadwork and getting good body solder is key.

Stay away from the lead free stuff, I personally do not like it although I have used it.

Lead body solder is much easier to work with, you don't heat it as much, easier to file, etc.

Would you mind giving us a tutorial? I've always wanted to try lead work, but I have nobody to learn and have no idea where to start.

Would you mind giving us a tutorial? I've always wanted to try lead work, but I have nobody to learn and have no idea where to start.

If you buy a kit from Eastwood $109, it comes with a DVD. There really isn't much to it. Clean it, tin it, mush lead on it, file it down. If you don't get it right, melt it off and start again - no big deal.

A few years ago I caught an episode on Discovery channel, maybe Monster Garage, but Jesse James was definetly in it. There were some old-time hot rodders building something and one of them was teaching Jesse how to work with the stuff. It looked a bit more intensive than you are describing. Maybe that was something else.

okay thanks thats what i thought but i figrured id ask lol

oh and justsomeguy im sure they just wanted to make everthing sound complex because they didnt want any competion lol

No, it was different. I've seen enough of those talked up, over hyped, blah blah blah stuff. This one stood out. It was a very short clip of a very elderly gentlemen with a rosebud on an old car, with Jesse standing close by asking him about his technique. It reminds me of how I try to absorb from an older, wiser person. I will have to look for that clip, it was actually kind of touching to me.

I actually think it showed Hines's son doing most of the leading, but I thought that was my favorite episode of that series!! Some true legends worked on that car!! Wouldn't mind seeing it again!

Latest posts

Back