'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much sweatin' that day. It was -20*C or -5*F that morning, but it warmed up in the afternoon for a while.
I imagine that we are all 'problem solvers' or we wouldn't be hotrod builders. The producer of the Grapes of Wrath was there helping all day and I'm impressed at his practicality and problem solving skills even though he's an artist too. When we got to the theatre there was an electrician installing the lights. He came and helped, and he was also dang handy.
So with all the qualified help, that 'impossible day' turned out to be only the 'day from heck'.

From my experiences with my daughters being in theatre tech, real theatre people are like that, Mac. My oldest is on a busmans holiday in New York right now hanging Christmas lights on a Hotel at JFK. In a bucket at the end of a 60 foot pole lift, No doubt.:eek:
Torchie

I've given the retrieval of the truck some thought. Bob, I've even given your 'Dukes of Hazzard' suggestion due diligence. Naw, I'd run into the playground equipment that some 'barking mad' planner installed just outside the big doors. That would dent my front end all up, [Oh, wait a minute, it's already all dented up].
Dr. C., we already get free seats to pay for this volunteering. The 'Fame and Fortune' was just tongue in cheek, but there is some local fame misting over me. I'm afraid the 'Fortune' part will completely miss me.

Well, we went to watch the play 'The Grapes of Wrath' last night, and Snopro, I hardly thought about the removal of the truck at all. At least it didn't ruin the show for me. The truck performed like a trouper winning the whole audience over, [I think].
A couple of months ago, I had run into an old school friend and suggested he tell his Auntie Julie, to come and see the show and her old truck. You see, I'd bought the truck from Julie a few years ago, after she was widowed. She showed up to watch the show at the same time as I did. She had a story of moving about a thousand km in that truck many, many years ago, paralleling the Grapes of Wrath people somewhat.
The Show Director stood in front of the audience and pointed out the current owner and the previous one and told the story of the travelling.
Here is Julie and me by the truck, on stage.

Attachments

• WP_20191129_004.jpg
    WP_20191129_004.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 32
  • WP_20191129_007.jpg
    WP_20191129_007.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thank you, guys. I'm a bit of a story teller. All of you should come over here for a visit to see if this stuff is true or am I just sitting in my big chair making it up, [of course, nobody could make up some of the weird dilemmas I get into].
Anyhow, I went and got the truck back off the stage and brought it home, today. The Grapes of Wrath lady, Sara, is going to send me some better pictures of Julie and me on stage in the truck and the truck coming down the ramps, off the stage. We had to put the ramps between two 'stage floor joists' so they were a little narrow and really close to one side of the big doors. all of the way on the ramps one tire was hanging over the edge about an inch, and when we got to the doorway I [the steering guy] jumped up on the running board and turned sideways, pressing myself against the truck door. Even though I'm horizontally challenged I still had to stop the downward progress of the truck, while I wriggled for a bit and got myself through the doorway.

Thanks MM, I've enjoyed this tale from beginning to end - and there's no way you are making this one up! What happens to the truck now though?

Bill, the truck is tucked away in the machine shed for now. I dug a Poly 318 Dodge motor and New Process 435 trans, out of my stash and it's sitting on the shop floor. Tonight my 4-H kids come swarming around so I'll get them to start taking it all apart and I'll rebuild it for the Dodge Brothers truck. With that, fixing the '36 Ford clutch, rebuilding an old pull-type swather set of reels, and working on the '34 Plymouth that is a third done, I'll be busy enough.
Thanks for following along, guys.

Latest posts

Back