How To Install '35 Ford Wire Wheels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

In recent years there has been a lot of interest in making our cars look old timey,and one of the things people are doing is installing '35 Ford wire wheels on their cars. I am saving a set to do this myself, and the reason people are using them is because they are the first and last 16 inch wire wheels Ford made. All the previous years were 17 and bigger, and after 1935 Ford went to solid steel wheels.

The problem is this: Although the bolt pattern is 5 on 5 and 1/2, just like later Ford ('39-'48) hydraulic brakes, these wheels do not simply bolt on. The reason is that early Ford brake drums had a couple of bumps molded into them so that the inside of the wire wheel rests against them. Later drums do not, and it leaves a gap that gets pinched down and distorted when you torque the lug nuts down. This can lead to cracking and wheels coming loose.

A member on another forum was nice enough to provide me with a magazine article in the August 2007 Street Rodder Magazine that goes into detail on this problem and how to fix it. Bottom line, you can buy a spacer that goes over the later Ford wheel studs, and then you put the wheel on, and it rests properly on this adapter. Then you tighten down the lug nuts as usual.

The adapters are about $ 20 each, and are made by Dave Wilson at MT Car Products. (530) 872-0122.......www.mtcarproducts.com If you want to read the article, it is on page 236 of the issue I mentioned.

Second subject:

Early Ford wheels, either wire or solid, tend to get the lug nut holes routed out from years and years of tightening down the lug nuts. There is a product called "wheel savers" or "lug nut washers" that you can buy for about 40 cents each that go on first, and take up the worn out portions of the holes. I have been running these on my '27 for years, and just ordered more for my 23 T from Macs Auto Parts. These make sure your lug nuts don't pull through elongated holes.

Hope this helps some of you out who are thinking about using early Ford wheels on your rods.

Don

Check out their website. They have some really neat stuff. Not cheap, but when you figure the cost to redo an old set of brakes, it really isn't bad.

I knew you couldn't just bolt these on, but wasn't sure why. Some people swear they have done it (even the article says that) but you risk some problems, and wheels coming off while underway is not a cool thing. I mean, we all want to drive the wheels off of our cars, but........................

Don

Thanks, Don.

Thanks for bringing this up Don, it's one of those things that gets over looked too often and can cause some big problems. I have them on the '22 Dodge.
I bought my adapters through Vintage Ford in Sacramento, CA., and I believe they can be purchased through Speedway Motors.
Mine look identical to the ones you linked to and the same cost. See attached photo.
I've also attached a list of wire wheel size for years used in case someone needs the information. '22

Attachments

• Wheel Adapt.1.jpg
    Wheel Adapt.1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Wire Wheel Applications.jpg
    Wire Wheel Applications.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 111
I always thought so, and we installed them in the 16 inch tires on steel wheels on my Son's '29, but I have seen posts on some forums where guys say they don't and have no problems. I don't trust that though, and the sidewall of our Firestone 16's reads Tube Type. So I am going to run tubes when I do my wires.

Tell you one thing though. Tubes are a pain to install, forgot how nice tubeless are. We mounted the tires on my Kids car ourselves because we didn't want the rims scratched, and the tubes were the worst part. :eek::eek:

Don

Great info.

Question…when running these wire wheels, does a guy need to run tubes in your tires?

Jeff

I wouldn't run without tubes on wire wheels chop.

I do run tube type tires without tubes on solid wheels though. I'm not telling anyone else to do it. I'm just saying that it has worked for me.

Great tip on the 35 Wires Don. I've been thinking about picking up a set to use on a future project.

I

Great tip on the 35 Wires Don. I've been thinking about picking up a set to use on a future project.

Thanks Gastrick. Hope this helps someone out. BTW, seems like a good time to buy a set of these. The prices on Ebay seem to be coming down from when I bought mine a couple years ago. I think the market has been flooded and the price has dropped because of it.

You have to be careful though to make sure they are straight and not bent up, though.

Don

BTW, I sent Tripper a PM, but no answer yet. Flatbroke PM'd me on the other forum. His membership has been banned !!! I told him it had to be a screw up and that I would get with Bob on it. Bob, if you see this, please fix him up. Thanks

As always Don has come thru for us.Really good thread on the wires.There is always something to learn on this site.Are u sure that you werent a 50's Hot Rod Shop Teacher in another Life???Lol Lol...

Don

Really good job on the thread...

Thanks for the nice words. I really owe this to the guy on the other forum who posted it for me. I like the looks of wires on a rod, they really give it that "back in the day" look. I'm not sure how hard they will be to paint, but I have seen where some people get them dipped and powder coated. That might be the way to go, because it has to be fun trying to get paint into all those spokes and not get a run or dry spot.

Don

hey hey, u must have been reading my mind....
I just pulled off my wire wheels today and was considering getting some steel wheels. Now i will run the wire ones.
cheers

hey hey, u must have been reading my mind....
I just pulled off my wire wheels today and was considering getting some steel wheels. Now i will run the wire ones.
cheers

This tip really doesn'y work. Just get the steelies and send the wires to me since they are useless:D. Just kidding.

I bought some of those speedway supports But when used on my 40 drums they wernt thick enough. I just had to make some thick washers to go on the drum first and then put on the support rings.

Excellent tip Don. Don't worry too much about painting the wires without a run, it can be done. It's not a job for the faint of heart, though. If you're always thinking of the paint hitting two different depths of target at the same time, and paint several light coats from different angles, you'll be O.K.. The metal of the hub that the inner spokes hook to is 11/16" in further than the bolt holes on these Dodge Brothers wire wheels and that metal hub hits the outside rim of the newer brake drum before the bolt holes are anywhere near bottoming on the bolts. I bought some 3/4" spacers to go on the wheel bolts, between the drum and the wheel. I also have a set of '35 wires sitting here sand blasted and waiting to go on a Model 'A' roadster, someday.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back