I'm sorta stumped.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, you may be on to something there. I've got a FORD coil on the old truck I took the motor out of, maybe I need to try it before I give up on the hei.

Terrific education Doc. My last coil failure presented itself in the dark on a 52 Chev. I could see the short travel to ground on occasion as the engine stumbled. Fingers crossed Bama.

Score another one for the good Dr C!!!![cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

It was the coil! I put the coil that was on that motor originally with the EFI on it, couldn't believe how fast it started! Adjusted the timing a bit, now it sits there and idles about 1000 rpm. [cl[cl[cl Cut it off, it starts on half a turn!

But, everything is not good in whoville.....

I can see the distributor wiggling! Actually wigging a bit side to side like a warped shaft.[S:( Don't think it should be doing that? I mean, it's just enough you can see one or two of the plug wires slowly shaking, and I don't see any shake on the motor. So, I think I'm going to file a warranty claim, doubt I get anything, but it's supposed to be warrantied for a year. Worth a try anyway.

And the other thing is I have reverse, but no drive.:( Still a little low on fluid, I put too much in it before I got it started and it leaked a bunch out the dipstick hole O ring. Put my last gallon in, still looks like it needs a quart or maybe two. Gonna try that first, talked to a transmission shop this morning, he said try that, just might be the seals dried from sitting and they may free up. I hope so, he quoted me $900 to build it :eek:. That's $900 I don't have and won't have for a while since I've been off with the truck down now nearly two weeks.:( Maybe before spring.....

I'm glad the coil swap was successful. :)

Have you explored the common #7 - #8 crossfire issue, Bama?

Excuse me if I'm covering ground you've already covered... #7 and #8 plug wires should be routed as far apart from each other as reasonable. Because they're the only cylinders that fire immediately next to each other, they're highly susceptible to induction...

Last edited:
You know, I've owned a lot of small block Fords,and have never had a problem with 7 & 8 crossfiring. Maybe I've just been lucky? [S

Bill,I knew it was a possibility when I put this thing in that the tranny might not work. It had sat in the carport at least 10 years, I'm thinking may be closer to 15. It's just pot luck, I've put them in that had sat like that before with no problem, so you never know. I'm gonna go ahead and fill it up with fluid and try it some more before I give up on it. At least taking everything down won't be as bad as having to fab everything to get it in there. I may go ahead and put rings and bearings in the motor while it's out, too. It's running good, little smoke, but the oil pressure gauge is showing almost zero at idle.:eek: Goes up to 50 as soon as you mash it a bit.

You know, I've owned a lot of small block Fords,and have never had a problem with 7 & 8 crossfiring. Maybe I've just been lucky? [S

If you have the 7-8 issue, does it cause the wiggle? I have no idea, just mentioned it in case it makes a difference for you. [S

Long winded story...

I never heard of such a thing (I'm a Chevy guy) until the time I visited my cousin (Dave) 500 miles away. He had, and still has a '69 Mustang 302 4spd. At the time, he had recently installed a new motor and new ignition. Dave is a bodyman and was afraid to fire it, because he wasn't sure he had the ignition right...

So, my visit was "timely" and I helped him sort it out... checked my work 6 times (because it turns the wrong way ;)) and lit it off. It ran great, sounded great and we played a few rounds of "beer throttle" to celebrate. Next day, we drove the car and something wasn't quite right... under load, it ran pretty strong, but stammered a wee bit... just enough to make you wonder, what the hell is that?

Back in the shop. Verify timing, total timing, advance functions, firing order 6 more times, make some adjustments, drive the car, repeat and rinse... can't find the problem, but it definitely exists. Completely frustrated, I rang a Ford friend back home and told him the story. He didn't hesitate to mention the 7-8 issue, which short story long, was, indeed, the problem. :eek:

No Dr.C., this is a mechanical issue. I started a new thread with a link to a crappy video I shot this morning of it wiggling. Check it out and check back in.....:D

Latest posts

Back