The best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killy, I saw a lot of great shops and an airplane hanger built that way. If you keep an eye open, you can find those big old ladder trusses, used, for scrap price. A pair of 40 foot conex containers is around $8000 and I think you could do the rest for another $500 and have a skookum 30x40 open area with the extra 8 feet on each side for storage, tear down rooms ect. Or even cheaper is old used up semi trailers.

I guess it all comes down to how you approach your car and what you have available to spend. I have always made a decent salary but free fun money was never the norm.:rolleyes:

For the past 20 years I have always had some type of "project" vehicle or another. But with a wife and three children, my projects were always a lower priority than their needs.;)

Now that we are empty nesters there a bit more fun money, but nowadays my projects are not about seeing how much money I can spend the fastest. Its a hobby and I approach it as such.. heck the building is as much or more fun than the finished project! (I usually sell/give away the finished project a few months after they are done anyway. - I have never made money on any of my vehicles):confused:

Having to "make do" forces you to plan carefully and get creative. Not to mention gaining skills from not being able to pay others to do things for you!

When I needed to reupholster my truck's bench seat - I could have paid someone to do it for me, for about $600, or I could have bought a premade cover, for about $300, but instead the wife and I made a trip to the local fabric store's bargain bin and for under $100 we learned how to do it our self.

I will probably never use the skill again but I can say we did it ourselves and we saved a few bucks.

To each his own and I do appreciate and enjoy looking at all those fancy and expensive hot rods - but when I squint my eyes, my old heap looks just fine to me! :cool:
(Guess that's why as you get older, you also loose your eyesight! Ha!:D)

Latest posts

Back