decisions and a problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizzerd

hi all,

i have a 429 big block. i was gonna sell it but upon further inspection of the innerards of it, im gonna keep it. my problem lies in the distributor. it wont budge. i was taking the intake off and its in the way. i removed the one bolt but i cant seem to get it to move.. any thoughts on how to get it off..

next thing. i just recently bought a 53 and a 55 chevy truck. they came with a 283, do i use the 283 or should i drop my 429 in it?

thanks
Wizzerd

First things first. There is a reason that the distributor is stuck. May be corrosion between the intake and aluminum housing on the distributor. Cast iron and aluminum seem to always have problems . Soak it in oil and try using a bar to gently remove the distributor.

I would not put a pry bar on the distributor. Using a bar there is no way to lift it straight. That could cause the distributor to bend/break. Soak it with a good oil, be patient. try and get the distributor to turn. Once you can get the housing to turn it will come out pretty easy. Could maybe put a small pipe wrench on the distributor to try and turn it, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Guess I should have said bars. One on each side. But you are correct. Need to be very careful and patient when removing stubborn distributor. Brake fluid is something I have used also.

I enjoy seeing something other than a sbc in something but....nothing wrong with a Chevy in a Chevy. This is one of the few times i think most will agree with me that you will way ahead in cost and trouble to keep the original 283 than to adapt the Ford. :rolleyes: I am assuming it is a Ford. Welcome to the board Wizz.

hi all,

i have a 429 big block. i was gonna sell it but upon further inspection of the innerards of it, im gonna keep it. my problem lies in the distributor. it wont budge. i was taking the intake off and its in the way. i removed the one bolt but i cant seem to get it to move.. any thoughts on how to get it off..

next thing. i just recently bought a 53 and a 55 chevy truck. they came with a 283, do i use the 283 or should i drop my 429 in it?

thanks
Wizzerd

There's no reason you couldn't use the 429. However, depending on your suspension and steering in the truck, and the oil pan on the 429, you may run into steering and exhaust clearance issues, and you'll be forced to find you own solution as it's not a common swap.

Personally I would stick with the 283 and find another project for the 429.

:(

i got it to spin,but it still wont pop out.. but i accidentally taped it to hard and it chipped a part off. i called the part store. 66 for a new one and a 22 core charge.. awesome.. thanks for all the help guys!

thanks again
Wizzerd

Me Too

i got it to spin,but it still wont pop out.. but i accidentally taped it to hard and it chipped a part off. i called the part store. 66 for a new one and a 22 core charge.. awesome.. thanks for all the help guys!

thanks again
Wizzerd

I had the same problem with a sbc, if you can get it out check my thread "A Little Help Here"
Mine was seized on the inside, had to pull the engine, drop pan and oil pump and hammer it out.
Hope it helps if you need it.

429 could weigh twice as much as 283 plus if a 283 is like the 327 you will have a long gas pedal seems like you could push it for-ever :D and chevys are always cheaper to work on than fords.. dont know why [S[S

Ford guy here, use the 283. And don't worry about damaging that distributor if you have to. I had a big Merc with a 429 and we couldn't budge that distributor with any method. At some point I even hooked a cherry picker and had the front wheels of the car off the ground. It eventually came out in pieces.

I had a 351 with the same problem it needed to be moved just a little bit ..but I soaked it with everything even my hero (PB Blaster) and nothing would budge it vice-grips just chewed some of the neck off ,, I sold the truck and it was still froze ..

I've had same problem with a 429. Check the rod that connects the distributor to the oil pump. Sometimes they get twisted or the flats get rounded of. This can cause the engine to lock up. I've had them so twisted I had to heat the rod with a torch to get it out. Worth checking while its still apart.

Latest posts

Back