1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta love getting to paint stage. Do you use a Hardener in your Tremclad Rustoleum?

For sure, even though it's just some easy stuff, it's great to splash something on. Yes, I used hardener with the Tremclad, mix ratio I found online was 5 parts Tremclad, 2 parts Acetone and .3 part hardener. It was so thick, I changed it to 4 parts Tremclad, 3 parts Acetone and 1 part hardener. Hardener sure cuts the drying time, without it you can wait days for it to dry, mine was dry to the touch in 5 hrs.

Which catalyst/hardener do you use, zz?

I'm a big fan of Tremclad... it'll stick to a greasy pork sandwich but takes forever to cure!

Which catalyst/hardener do you use, zz?

I'm a big fan of Tremclad... it'll stick to a greasy pork sandwich but takes forever to cure!

I've used several different ones - basically whatever I have under the bench in my leftover pile, PPG Urethane mostly, I just wing it, they all seem to work OK. Not very scientific, I like living dangerously.... :)

Time to install the new Speedway 4:11 Posi

attachment.php

Painted the frame and all the assorted wood pieces grey Tremclad - it'll make things a little more interesting underneath instead of all black...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 78
I like the grey ZZ... lookin' good [cl[cl[cl

[P[P

I forgot[S are you running an OD trans ? 4:11 seems a bit low to me..
just wandering???

Yes, it's using an AOD trans on the 302 SBF. The owner has a stock 37 2dr sedan and a 37 roadster, they both came stock with 4:11 gears so he's used to it, they both also have the OD option on their 3 speed trannys.

The grey is a product of circumstance, I had some leftover from painting my Motorhome and after walking past it every day to the shop, the idea to use it sort of grew on me :)

I still like it. :D

New question: Can I have a closer look at this arrangement? Looks a lot like a CalTrac bar, but I can't tell what's cookin' at the front hanger.

attachment.php

Attachments

• zz 37 packard - Copy.JPG
    zz 37 packard - Copy.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 80
attachment.php
I still like it. :D

New question: Can I have a closer look at this arrangement? Looks a lot like a CalTrac bar, but I can't tell what's cookin' at the front hanger.

Good eye Doc. Similar to the Cal Trac bars, from McGaughys. When (or if) the rearend rotates upward during spring wrapup as happens when you get wheel hop, the forward end of the traction bar moves ahead and the "shoe" on the mount tab will contact the front spring mount, limiting spring wrap and forward movement of the bar, thus stopping the hop. Theoretically....
In the real world, the 302 is not likely to induce that kind of antics, especially without slicks or really sticky tires. However, they do look cool :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 78
I really like your colour combination.

Inspiration and déjà vu: If you stick around long enough, you might see it again. :p

Backwards déjà vu (uv ejad?)

I did the same on my 38 Desoto frame 5 years ago. Was going for a bit of an industrial look, but I've never really been sold on it...

ZZ's looks a lot better, maybe the proportions are different enough that it looks a little more fitting?

Attachments

• IMG_20150825_121157.jpg
    IMG_20150825_121157.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20150825_121215.jpg
    IMG_20150825_121215.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20150825_121223.jpg
    IMG_20150825_121223.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20150825_121319.jpg
    IMG_20150825_121319.jpg