Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Original tags??

Hey all.
Thinking bout getting a set of original 71 tags for my caddy.
What's the goods n bads doing this?
Do you just buy a set and take em to the license bureau?
Tnx...RR

Im not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 PM
The Rat Captain

Talking

In Cal. get the plates go to DMV ask for YOM year of manufature and pay them $50.
But check your dmv to be sure.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Oregon will allow it, as long as they are not officially being used on another vehicle. This can happen when you only have one plate. They do charge you for the privilege.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM
A *real* tin magnet

Every state is different and many aren't on board with the YOM yet. In my state, you check at the local dmv to see if the number is not in use first. Once that number is used, in any year, then it can't be used again.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Devil's Advocate

Here's the deal on YOM tags in Ohio. They can be used, but only on a historical registration. This obviously limits your driving privileges in accordance with those guidelines. If you still want to do it, you must bring in the YOM tag with you to the BMV when you get your historical registration. They will inspect the plate, then attach that number to the reg. You will also still receive a regular Ohio historical tag, which you must the keep in the vehicle at all times.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Missouri will allow them as long as they have been out of circulation for a consecutive 3 years in a row.
Don't even have a sticker on them, ya don't have any historical tags to deal with and ya don't have to keep track of mileage anymore.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM
A *real* tin magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
Here's the deal on YOM tags in Ohio. They can be used, but only on a historical registration. This obviously limits your driving privileges in accordance with those guidelines. If you still want to do it, you must bring in the YOM tag with you to the BMV when you get your historical registration. They will inspect the plate, then attach that number to the reg. You will also still receive a regular Ohio historical tag, which you must the keep in the vehicle at all times.
Yes, ours are the same restrictions as historical but the rules are pretty vague, like "special occasions" About the only way you would ever get popped is driving it to work and parking it on the street or someplace the cops see it every day. Last I knew, there had never been a citation written in Texas for mis using a YOM registration. I drive my 59 F250 as a daily driver with YOM
Old 07-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowbilly3 View Post
Yes, ours are the same restrictions as historical but the rules are pretty vague, like "special occasions" About the only way you would ever get popped is driving it to work and parking it on the street or someplace the cops see it every day. Last I knew, there had never been a citation written in Texas for mis using a YOM registration. I drive my 59 F250 as a daily driver with YOM
All it takes is a cop with an attitude. There has been at least one written in Ohio - Ask me how I know.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:15 PM
A *real* tin magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
All it takes is a cop with an attitude. There has been at least one written in Ohio - Ask me how I know.
I figure he would have to prove I wasn't meeting with the car club, getting gas, going to wash it, going to the parts store to get parts, all reasons you can drive.... I've had them on the 29 for years, cops all wave.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

In Illinois 1st you get Expanded-Use Antique License Plates. April to October o restrictions on driving. Nov. to March only to shows, taking it to a shop, or to storage.

With that plate, you can now have a YOM plate on you car, as long as you keep the Expanded-Use Antique License Plates in the car for inspection by LEOs. Only the Expanded-Use Antique License Plates are registered and in the system. Our YOM plates are not.

I keep a copy of the statue with my Antigue Plates just incase the Office might not be aware of the Law.