Prc radiators

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Living in Florida, cooling a hot rod is always challenging, and I have never skimped when it comes to buying a radiator. I have had one from the Brassworks in my 27 for about 26 years and recently replaced it with a new one from the same company because the original one had just lived a long life and was tired.

For my rpu project, I didn't feel like spending another $1000 and the mild sbc in that car should run cool without a super duper thick radiator in it, so I went to Performance Rod and Custom (PRC) to have an aluminum built for it. This is about the 4th radiator we have bought from PRC, and each one has been really good.

I sent Chris at PRC a drawing via email, showing him where I needed everything to go and how big I wanted it to be, and he communicated with me a lot and was super to deal with. The cost was also half of what the brass one cost me, so that was nice.

It came Friday and is just what I asked for. Great quality, and it should do a good job of keeping my temps down, even on the hottest days. I can't recommend them enough, they are nice people to deal with and got it done on time, taking only two weeks. (My brass one took over a month or more) A few of the fragile fins between the tubes got tweaked a little in shipping ,but those will straighten out easy enough with duckbill pliers.

Here is the one they made for me:

Don

Ya know, I never really asked. It is pretty thick, so I am guessing 3, but I looked at the receipt just now, and it only says " SBC radiator".

The same people made the one that is in my Sons rpu, and it is cooling his 468 Olds, and it is about the same thickness and size.

Don

In aluminum it's likely a 2-core. Aluminum cores can be much thicker than copper-brass cores (due to material strength) and as a result flow much better also. My rad in my 46 is two 1" thick cores and it cools very well.

Lots of people still think you need a 3 or 4 core radiator but that's not true when it comes to aluminum radiators.

Great looking rad! Thanks for the feedback!

Looks great, how many cores?

In my experience, most of the good alum rads are 2 or 3 core. They typically don't need 4 cores because like 440 said, they run much bigger cross tubes. Look down inside one and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Beercan

In my experience, most of the good alum rads are 2 or 3 core. They typically don't need 4 cores because like 440 said, they run much bigger cross tubes. Look down inside one and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Beercan

Yeah, most aluminum radiators run at least 1" core tubes. Some even go up to 1-1/2" or bigger!

Latest posts

Back