Can I flip my solid axle to lower my truck?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetondodge

I don't know exactly how to word it, but I want to lower my truck, It has a solid axle up front. any tips on how to lower it without really changing anything on the truck, I thought to pull some leafs out, or I though I could mount the springs on below the axle instead of on top. any tips would be apreciated, thank you,
Paul

Last edited:
If you put your springs on top of your axle then it will raise the truck the width of the axle tubing. The best thing would be drop spindles. To drop the rear with springs under the axle you can get drop blocks that go under the axle and on top of the springs. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT do this on the front.

If you put your springs on top of your axle then it will raise the truck the width of the axle tubing. The best thing would be drop spindles. To drop the rear with springs under the axle you can get drop blocks that go under the axle and on top of the springs. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT do this on the front.

Sorry, I edited my first post: I meant to say mount them under the the axle. It is very hard to find parts for my truck; and I will be sure to stay away from blocks under my front axle, Is it still possible to mount the springs under the axle alone(no blocks)? I don't think the truck will ever drive faster than 55mph on this setup(if that changes anything). If this is still not the best setup I will just drive it at stock height until I can figure out some drop spindles.

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with solid front axles, this is my first time working on a vintage truck, and sadly it seems the simpler designs of these old trucks is more complex to me than modern front suspension set-ups

Thank you very much for your help
Paul

If the axle is mounted BELOW the springs in the original set-up. then remounting it ON TOP of the springs, changes alot of things :

...first, you will have to fabricate, and weld on a plate to re-mount the springs to the axle... unless you're an experienced, certified welder, you don't want to mess with welding on a forged axle...
...next, you will have to notch and box the frame rails for clearance, raise the steering box, and modify the steering arms...that's alot of work for only a few inches of lowering!...no one makes dropped spindles or uprights for a beam axle...

You could check around and see if anyone makes a dropped axle for your application, or, have your original axle dropped, but, you will still have to modify the steering arms...

The simplest way, without changing the steering geometry, and doing alot of fabricating, is to pull your leaf springs, flip over the main leaf, (which is like reversing the eye), remove the helper springs, and reassemble the leaf packs, CAREFULLY!!!

This should give you about a 4"-5" drop...check into using a lower profile front tire too...you can pick up a couple inches with that...

If the axle is mounted BELOW the springs in the original set-up. then remounting it ON TOP of the springs, changes alot of things :

...first, you will have to fabricate, and weld on a plate to re-mount the springs to the axle... unless you're an experienced, certified welder, you don't want to mess with welding on a forged axle...
...next, you will have to notch and box the frame rails for clearance, raise the steering box, and modify the steering arms...that's alot of work for only a few inches of lowering!...no one makes dropped spindles or uprights for a beam axle...

You could check around and see if anyone makes a dropped axle for your application, or, have your original axle dropped, but, you will still have to modify the steering arms...

The simplest way, without changing the steering geometry, and doing alot of fabricating, is to pull your leaf springs, flip over the main leaf, (which is like reversing the eye), remove the helper springs, and reassemble the leaf packs, CAREFULLY!!!

This should give you about a 4"-5" drop...check into using a lower profile front tire too...you can pick up a couple inches with that...

Thank you very much, I see that remounting the springs is not as simple as I had first thought. I will play around with the springs as you have suggested and see where that gets me. You've been very helpful

No problem, you're welcome...just remember, be VERY CAREFUL when dis-assembling & re-assembling the leaf packs...use BIG C-clamps!

If you are gonna keep the fenders , you need to measure the distance between the top of your tire and your fender . No matter how you lower it you have to have some clearance .

Latest posts

Back