Will this paint stick?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Arrgg, I hate painting! Ok, so on to my question:

My model A body has some kind of grey sandable filler primer on it. Not sure what kind but was told it was a decent 2 part type. I've also used some Duplicolor filler primer on my bondo work in places.

I have some single-stage urethane PPG Shopline paint. Will this stick to most primers? Not looking for anything remotely show quality, just want it to stick and protect from rusting for a few years. Car will not see any weather.

[S

If you are unsure of the base coat, then seal it with a good sealer. The paint will most likely stick to what you have but you might get some bleed through, especially with white. Was the Dupli Color spray bombed? If so then I would definitely use a sealer or the body work will be what bleeds through.

If you are unsure of the base coat, then seal it with a good sealer. The paint will most likely stick to what you have but you might get some bleed through, especially with white. Was the Dupli Color spray bombed? If so then I would definitely use a sealer or the body work will be what bleeds through.

Thanks fellas.

The car was supposedly blasted, 90% of bodywork done then plenty of 2k filler primer sprayed on. I've done some more bondo work and used Duplicolor spray bomb filler primer, which is acrylic laquer based.

From what I read, this should work OK, but not advised for any kind of good, long lasting paint job. Fine by me, just want to get some paint on it. Its going to be a flat white, and still has plenty of imperfections in the body.

Going to shoot some this weekend, fingers crossed! [P

You might double check the "rattle can" paint areas with a test sample,sometimes they will "orange peel" and crinkle under new paint depending how "hot" it is.

Yeah, probably a smart idea. I'll also put a couple of very light coats on first, so as not to soak the rattle can areas with too much solvent. After those flash, it should be ok to put on heavier coats.

Make sure the car is sanded 400- to 600 grit prior to painting. That is what gives the paint something to bond to.

Lungs

Modern urethane paints do have very strong solvents ( MEK, Acetone, Toulene ) all of which will lift primers that are not the 2 component type. A compatible sealer would be the safest route. If not a couple of light flash coats first allowed to set, then apply your finish coat. Good airflow will be important to pull the thinners out quickly to also help prevent any lifting of primers. Good Luck.[cl

Latest posts

Back