37 Olds Chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillman

Hi Has anyone chopped a 37 olds cab. I'd really like to see one
thanks in advance Phil

Attachments

• 37 Olds.jpg
    37 Olds.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 93
That is a very nice truck...I didnt know Olds made trucks...I googled Olds trucks,and read all about them. I learned something new.

Well, by that one pic, it looks to have more curves than most other cabs and the roof ribs will limit your options on how to cut it. I'd say it doesn't look easy - but that's only by looking at one pic.

Are Olds trucks more common in Aussie? I don't recall ever seeing one around here. They are great looking trucks and yours looks like a good one.

Well I wish it was mine,found this one on the Net ,but I do have the same cab.
Mine is very rusty, it's been under a Peppercorn tree.

These were a 35 or 36 Bedford out here and have a shorter firewall. I have seen a restored GMC truck using this Cab with a Chev firewall
From what I've found out they only made this Cab for 1 or 2 years.
I'll get a photo and show you some of the rust

Thanks for everyones comments Phil

OK sorry I stuffed that up. Don't know why they jumped around sideways.

Maybe someone can fix them. It did not do it on the first pic

I' am going to repair this cab but not just yet

thanks Phil

Looks like it has a bit of rust-out in the back! Eh, just weld shut the doors and enter from the back. :D If it were mine, I would leave the holes in the dash.

What a great looking cab. I didn't know Olds built a truck.
Definitely worth the effort to save it but I wouldn't chop it.
JMHO.

Wow, an Olds pickup, who knew? Another cool Aussie rig!! [cl Since your cab is a 'little' crispy, I guess a chop is not the worst thing you could do to it.... look like it sat on its back for many years. So as not to mess up that cool ribbed roof, slanting the front pillars back may be way to go, the front window looks a bit too vertical anyways..

It was laying under a Peppercorn Tree. If you have any at home you know what I mean,the seeds on these trees eat the crap out of steel[ddd

I think I'll just replace the back and Firewall[;) (no chop) and see how the body comes up, the windscreen is nearly vertical and I'd like to tilt the cab forward (down at the front) but it may not look right, we'll see

thanks for your thoughts Phil

My 2 cents (or what ever the exchange rate is in Australia).
Despite all the roundness of that cab roof and with out seeing a profile picture of it. That cab roof and pillars look boxier than We think it is. As ZZ pointed out the wind screen is very vertical as are the rear cab corners. What throws it all off is the very round shape of the door tops.
I think that if you don't give it too radical of a chop it can be done with out having to split the roof. And yes you may have to lay back the windshield pillars but I'm not even sure about that..
Would be one of a kind. That's for sure.
Torchie

35 to 40 Chevy Pickup Bed

Hi
haven't had much action for a while,been getting over a heart valve replacement and now it's time to retire so I need to start on a few things.

I need to build an early chev pickup bed,I have a tailgate so that where I'll start
There aint many pickup beds in Australia.

Question: I need to know the angle on top of the bed from the vertical out to tube piece and the length of this piece + the diameter of the tubular piece

Hope to hear from someone:)

Phil

Here's three different beds I've built - corner posts are 2x2" tube, I went with about a 45 degree angle on the top side flare and used 1 1/4" tube for the rolled edge.

Attachments

• 2003project#6 (2).jpg
    2003project#6 (2).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 23
  • jan 31 06 015.jpg
    jan 31 06 015.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 25
  • feb 07 10 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    feb 07 10 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the info zzrodder
Pickup beds are looking good.
I've searched the net for some original specs but haven't had much luck.
I can get lengths and widths but no other measurments

Phil

Latest posts

Back