Rolling on the Blitz Black

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insaneklinger

Hello All! I have a 1968 Chrysler Newport that I've been prepping for paint over the past few weeks. I've decided on J.D. Blitz Black, I already have a gallon of it sitting outside. Originally I wanted to spray it, but I lack the space to safely accomplish this. I have stumbled across a few forums that claim rolling is a great alternative, but most of them are using rustoleum. My question is about rolling with Blitz Black.
Have any of you tried this method? What mixture should I aim for with the paint and thinner?

Thanks guys!!

I've only sprayed JD Blitz Black but I do like the sheen of it quite well. It will darn near spray right out of the can so if I were going to roll it I don't think I would thin it at all......it would give better coverage that way and if you wanted it smoother than the roller job turns out, then a little wet sanding and some scrubbing with A-Jax should give you a pretty cool look. :cool:

Roll it on in one pass
Don't go back over it or it will pull up and won't be as smooth.
I would not thin it either.
At least that's how I do it with farm implement paint.

My grandfather painted his car with a horse hair brush and he put very little thinner in the paint ( back then paint was thick ) and it laid down just like you had sprayed it ... This paint you get now is just about able to spray it out of the can . no thinner . Just my .02

I work in the marine business and people paint boats all the time with the "rolled and tipped method." What they use is a foam roller, not one of the high nap rollers you use to paint your living room, and then a second person follows behind with a good quality brush that they lightly draw over the wet paint to level it. If done properly it can end up looking sprayed.

Here is a little video I found. Notice the little roller he is using and how they brush in the opposite direction of the rolling. You can find those rollers at marine stores and maybe even Home Depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjyzc4c9JnE

Don

hell yes, you guys rock! My only concern at this point is the curing time... Ive heard that the BB takes forever, will this time be extended since im not thinning it at all?

The tractor paint takes a long time to dry
But if I leave it alone for ten days or so.
I end up with the toughest finish I have ever seen on a car.
I dropped a 4 pound hammer on my hood once and it didn't do anything.

Latest posts

Back